Fish For Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nauplii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a small hexagon tank, and need some suggestions on what kind of loach or fish would be useful to keep my Malasian Trumpet snail population down because its getting ridiculous for my amount of snails.

Any suggestions and help gratefully received.

Colette xXx

I think some kinds of loaches eat snails. but then you need something to take care of the loachs... and so on.

Anyhow, I have 4 dojo loaches in a tank with a bunch of snails, and none have ever expressed interest in the snails, but I have a pack of swordtails that have decided that they only like escargot now.

almost all loaches eat snails and i have never heard of any loach ignoring a snail before!!

how small is small may i ask? if were talking a few gallons then there really is not anything loach wise for the job. give us a size and we can help you further. :good:

Kuhli's will certainly do the job. I have 3 in one of my mts invested tanks and they do a tremendous job of keeping things under control. They do prefer the smalle snails so you will have to pull the larger ones out manually.
Have you considered dwarf chain loach? These are also great little characters and stay quite small.

I've never once heard of kuhli loaches eating snails, and mine certainly don't.

The snail eating snails are primarily 'botia' loaches like clown loaches (though not in the Botia genus any more).

See here :).

Hey guys i have a small hexagon tank, and need some suggestions on what kind of loach or fish would be useful to keep my Malasian Trumpet snail population down because its getting ridiculous for my amount of snails.

Colette xXx

What lives in the small hexagon tank? Perhaps, if it is empty, and large enough, you could add dwarf puffers (DPs).

Colette xXx

What lives in the small hexagon tank? Perhaps, if it is empty, and large enough, you could add dwarf puffers (DPs).

Bad idea, MTS's shells are too hard for dwarf puffers to eat and can break their teeth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back