Fish food UK

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Any suggestions or recommendations. For a long time I have been feeding mostly New Life Spectrum and Omega One as I am not a fan of fillers or things that are not fish food being used to bulk it out. Stocks are running low so I have just been to look at stocking up. My normal stuff is either not available or outrageously expensive.

So what do people in the UK use? I have seen a brand called NorthFin which looks good - but its Canadian so may go the same way as the US products for pricing / availability and also been looking at Dennerle (German). They seem to have a non-mainstream approach that tropical fish don't eat much fish - so the meat content is primarily insect and crustacean. My CPD do get their "bug bites" equivalent and love it.

Any comments on these brands - or any others that I should know about?

Have you looked at hikari tropical micro pellet? my tetra see to love them but they are imported from Japan

I use Northfin, I buy it from Ebay. They have increased their range recently.

I will have to look at Northfin, I took your advice and picked up Omega One.
Omega One is definitely a great brand.

I personally never used NorthFins products, but it appears they are quit good. I use Tetra product food. (I use their tropical flakes, algae wafers, etc.)

What fish do you need food for?

I used to think that Omega One was the top dog as they use fresh fish instead of fish meal. But then I read an article (and subsequently wrote one) that revealed that they don't claim WHOLE fresh salmon (so it may very well be the waste after filets are cut out) AND as #1 in the ingredient list, the weight putting it there may even include the ice it's packed in!
Now I still think Omega One is good...but read on...
Unlike the old days, many of the high quality fish foods these days are using fish meals made from WHOLE fish... and all fish foods will require some amount of grain/grain starch as a binder (especially when using dry meals instead of fresh proteins).
I'm not sure what's available in the UK. As you already know you'll have to read the labels to determine the best ingredients for the expense. Generally speaking, cheap foods aren't good, and good foods aren't cheap!!! (Which is one of the reasons why I began culturing live foods).
As for commercial food, I make a 'special blend' of Omega One, Tetramin Tropical, and one other like NLS, Cobalt, or the like.

I'm not sure what's available in the UK. As you already know you'll have to read the labels to determine the best ingredients for the expense. Generally speaking, cheap foods aren't good, and good foods aren't cheap!!!
Yeah yeah - I know. Getting out to read them at the mo is a challenge. I am automatically disqualifying any brand that does not publish its labels online. I did manage to find some Omega One veggie rounds and shrimp pellets on a Polish site so fingers crossed they will arrive some time. Running out is not imminent so should be ok. I recently got a new tub of Omega One flakes. What I cannot find anywhere is the NLS micro pellets, and that is the staple for all my tanks. I probably have a month's supply left so that is my priority now. If all else fails I have bug bites (both Fluval and Dennerle) and both are easy to come by.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back