Fish Eggs?

Andrew G

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Newport, RI
I'm assuming these are fish eggs. I recently did a 35% water change and a thorough cleaning of the tank, including vacuuming of the substrate, and about a week later noticed these. They are EVERYWHERE.
If these are in fact eggs, what is my next step? I'm guessing that I'll have to move the eggs/fry to avoid being eaten by other fish. What is the proper procedure? What should the other tank contain? (I have a 5 gallon tank available, but what do I use for a filter, how do I feed them and when do I re-introduce them into my main tank?) See my signature for the list of fish currently in this, my HOME tank.)

Here are some pics:
Fish_Eggs_011-600x450.jpg


Fish_Eggs_013-600x450.jpg


Fish_Eggs_016-600x450.jpg
 
They could be snail eggs.

It was my understanding that egg laying snails leave a clutch of eggs in what looks like jelly.
These are all scattered in a straight line formation throughout the tank, mainly on the plants.
 
hi Andrew G

they do look alot like corydoras eggs but oviosly you dont have none ,so id say there from your Spotted (Angelicus) Pimelodus
iv never keept these or seen there eggs so dont quote me on this
if i was you id collect the eggs put them in a container floating in your tank with an air stone in it and see if they hatch :good:
 
They look like nerite snail eggs to me, is that what the snail in the last pic is?
 
hi Andrew G

they do look alot like corydoras eggs but oviosly you dont have none ,so id say there from your Spotted (Angelicus) Pimelodus

I don't think those have ever been bred in captivity so it's highly unlikely :P Is that a snail in the last pic? They're most probably snail eggs.
 
Here's where I am so far with the preparations.
I've moved all of the plants that contain eggs to a spare 5 gal tank. The tank has substrate, light and a spare filter.
(I'm going to add a mesh over the intake tube of the filter so the fry, or whatever they turn out to be, are not sucked into the filter).
Is there a special process to follow to ensure that they survive, such as feeding, etc.?
 
Yep, nerite eggs.

They should be moved to either brackish or full marine water depending on the species, and the larvae will need to be fed on live phytoplankton.

Not too dissimilar from breeding amano shrimp (see here), except once the larvae turn into baby snails, they will need to graze on plenty of algae on the glass/rocks.
 
Yep, nerite eggs.

They should be moved to either brackish or full marine water depending on the species, and the larvae will need to be fed on live phytoplankton.

Not too dissimilar from breeding amano shrimp (see here), except once the larvae turn into baby snails, they will need to graze on plenty of algae on the glass/rocks.

Is it really necesary to move them to a seperate tank, or can they survive in the community tank? Since they are not, (in your opinion), fish eggs, I'm not too concerned as I have plenty of snails right now and would rather not have an extra tank set up at this point.
 
Then you'll probably just want to scrub them off and bin them.

Nerite snail larvae would require a decent amount of time, effort and money - marine salt, a hydrometer, phytoplankton culture, and relativity decent lights for keeping the phytoplankton culture alive and later growing enough algae for the baby snails.
 
Then you'll probably just want to scrub them off and bin them.

Nerite snail larvae would require a decent amount of time, effort and money - marine salt, a hydrometer, phytoplankton culture, and relativity decent lights for keeping the phytoplankton culture alive and later growing enough algae for the baby snails.

Thanks for your advice.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top