Fish Dying

FrankyFish

New Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Québec City, Québec Canada
Hi,
I am currently keeping platys danios and black tetras. However recently one 2 of my platies suddenly died and so did a danio. Everything is at 0 in Ammonia and Nitrates and Ph is 7.0. I have left 3 platies, 6 danios and 5 tetras. What is wrong, are these guys incompatible?

Thanks for the replies :rolleyes:
 
How big is the tank?
Last time you did a water change?
Anything weird/different happen lately?

Just more info will help people help you.
Also its pretty much impossible to have 0 ammonia and nitrate if there are fish in the tank, there will always be some, ideally just at a low low level. What type of test kit are you using?
 
The tank is 35 US Gallons, I use the one made by hagen called Hagen Master Nutrafin test kit. Nothing particular, I usually do a 1/4 water change weekly as usual. I did introduce new fishes 2 weeks ago (3 platies) 2 of wich died. However the other fishes or the ones that died themselves did not look like they had anything out of order with them, I wonder...
 
How long have you had your testkit? Because if your getting 0ppm nitrate readings using it, that suggests it's old. And if that's the case...you could possibly have nitrite in there and not know about it because the kit is old and inaccurate and needs replacing.

As for now...just do a couple of big water changes to be safe. Your not washing the filter sponge under tap water during maintainance or anything are you?
No obvious signs of death is quite odd -_- .
 
Ho, I just reread myself, I used to test NITRITES...oops. Well since it is a master test kit I do not test for nitrates, perhaps I should, I tought that it would be all absorbed anyways since I have a rather large plant cover (with rather insane growth, I throw away elodea weekly) Could nitrates be the issue in that case?
 
Doubtful...the nitrates would need to be very high, and your not very highly stocked.

Just keep looking for signs of anything at all unusual on the living fish -_- .
 

Most reactions

Back
Top