Fish dieing? Water seems fine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Currently getting water out my tank and gravel vaccuming the whole thing deep (why am I still so nervous this is going to zap a large portion of good bacteria!!?..)

Would half and half still be ok regarding RO and tap water ... I'll be doing a 70% change

And yes I've calculated the volume it is less than 120 so I'll be sure not to over do the medicine

I suppose it's a balance of removing the bad bacteria and the good at the same time :blink:

Water changes don't affect filter bacteria as long as the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
The medication might affect filter bacteria.

If you want to use R/O then 50/50 should be fine.

Sorry I meant the actual deep gravel vaccum itself. But as Byron said I suppose you have to give each bit of substrate quite a good scrub to remove all bacteria

You won't affect the bacteria in the gravel just by doing a gravel clean. Once the bacteria has been on a hard surface for more than a month, it will be covered in biofilm and you literally have to rub it to remove it. Even then some is left behind.

Most of the stuff that comes out of gravel during a gravel clean is fish poop and bad bacteria associated with the fish poop.

Done a 60 percent water change covering all the gravel with the hoover
Removed the carbon from the filter and squeezed media in existing tank water
Cleaned inside of glass
Refilled with 50/50 RO water and tap water
Opened up the air valve more on the filter and increased bubbles on volcano
Added treatment ...

It does say it's a 2 part treatment that i have to repeat in 4 days. Shall I wait 4 days to do another 60 percent change or do it tommorow and add more medicine

Follow the directions on the packet/ box. Do a big water change and gravel clean in 4 days time then treat the tank again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back