Fish dieing? Water seems fine

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

A couple issues have come up in recent posts to which I would like to respond.

Regarding large water changes and having the same parameters. Temperature is obviously really cold I have a spare heater to warm a bucket a time up?
And pH from the tap is 6.8 but after 24 hours is 7.5 ISH. So adding all this freshwater in will be an instant pH shock or?
As my ammonia and nitrite are 0 what would these large water changes be removing?

On the pH...I will suspect it is actually 7.5 and not 6.8, since your GH and KH are apparently high. The reason it may test 6.8 initially is because of dissolved CO2 in the water line; this is very common. As the CO2 dissipates out, the carbonic acid it produced leaves and the pH rises to its actual level. Letting a glass of tap water sit for 24 hours and then testing pH will likely confirm this. So adding the tap water to the tank is not really going to shift the ph in the tank as the true pH of the tap water is likely going to be very close to the tank water pH.

On the temperature...is there some reason you do not use hot and col water at the tap, mixing it to get roughly the same temperature as the tank water? And it does not need to be exact; usually a couple degrees cooler can invigorate fish. I use my hand and always have the fresh water just a tad cooler than the existing tank water.

Water changes are absolutely essential for healthy fish. There is a lot of "pollution" in any aquarium with fish. We do not do tests to determine water changes, but rather doing substantial water changes stabilizes the biological system so we don't see fluctuations. Ammonia and nitrite should/must always be zero. Nitrates should be as low as possible, and this is where regular substantial water changes can really make a difference. But there is also all the other "crud" that no filter can remove. "Dead water" has to be removed and replaced with fresh. And the more you do, thee better, providing parameters (GH, pH and temp) are relatively close.

Ok defintly going to get some ro water (if I have room to keep it! If I do my changes with ro water will it save my existing fish? Or is the damage already done.

Inappropriate water parameters (GH primarily) do cause issues for fish. How far this can go on is debatable. The authorities do agree that it weakens the fish, which makes them more susceptible to other problems they encounter and to which they would otherwise have been able to deal with more effectively. And they live shorter than normal lifespans, always.

Fish in nature obviously do not die off from ich, and no one is out there "treating" ich. Stress is the real issue, as it causes 95% of all fish disease in an aquarium; the pathogen or whatever has to be present (many are) but it is the stress weakening the fishes' immune systems that triggers the outbreak of the disease. The harder the fish must work to maintain normal every-day functions takes a toll on them, causing stress.

If you decide to use RO and prepare your water in separate containers outside the aquarium, remember this is a permanent choice. It has to be done for each and every water change. It is easier to select fish suited to your water going forward.

And with regards to full gravel vac I used to do this but was told this would kill half of my beneficial bacteria and that was the reason for my ammonia spike (1ppm some months back)

Bacteria live on surfaces, and they are very difficult to dislodge. If you were able to scrape every grain of substrate you might remove some of them, but a vacuum during the water change is not going to have any effect. Same with rinsing out the filter media. Keep it all clean.

Wow.. I'd really like to rewind time and start again haha.
So tommorow I am defintly getting RO water from the shop And will continue using it as a habit. Gutted I've learnt all this a year into the hobby.
With regards to water temperature I'm not sure why, I always assumed warm tap water will bring a load of horrible stuff with it. Maybe wrong it was literally a guess that I stuck with!

Wow.. I'd really like to rewind time and start again haha.
So tommorow I am defintly getting RO water from the shop And will continue using it as a habit. Gutted I've learnt all this a year into the hobby.
With regards to water temperature I'm not sure why, I always assumed warm tap water will bring a load of horrible stuff with it. Maybe wrong it was literally a guess that I stuck with!
If you still have guppies in the tank mix one part of RO water with one part of tap water. Guppies do need hard water so using pure RO would kill them. If you no longer have the guppies you could go 2 or 3 parts RO to 1 part tap water, which would be better for the soft water fish.

In either case only mix it half and half for the first water change as you don't want to change the environment dramatically all in one go.

Ok how about 2:1 tap/RO or would this be pointless for the soft water specie? It's surprising the shark, gouramis etc have all survived so long in this water.

Also with regards to the rainbow shark not eating and hiding and floating strange and the small bristlenose looking like it has white patches on it what is the best form of action for these if any?
Obviously my water change habits are changing as of tommorow

Ok how about 2:1 tap/RO or would this be pointless for the soft water specie? It's surprising the shark, gouramis etc have all survived so long in this water.

Also with regards to the rainbow shark not eating and hiding and floating strange and the small bristlenose looking like it has white patches on it what is the best form of action for these if any?
Obviously my water change habits are changing as of tommorow

You should post a photo of the bristlenose with the white spots/patches.

The fish are surviving but that is not the same as thriving. They are just being weakened slowly, and many never recognize this because the fish continue living until at some point they die, with no external indication as to why, and most undoubtedly assume it is normal. Of course it is not.

I have been keeping fish for 30 years now. And I am proud of the fact that my knowledge of disease is so limited as to be almost non-existent, simply because I have not had much of it in my tanks. The two worst issues when fish just began dying turned out to be some internal protozoan brought in with newly-acquired fish; that taught me to QT new fish for several weeks, and also never to acquire fiish from chain stores. New fish sometimes have ich (no spots, but flashing which is usually ich) but the several weeks in the QT which is a fully planted permanently running smaller tank provides stress-free "rest" and they shake it off. But all my fish are soft water species because I have tap water with basically zero GH and KH, and the pH lowers a lot...suited to my fish. Providing what the fish require is a major step to healthy disease-free fish.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

---------------------------
Any chance of pictures of all the fish (rather than a pic of the tank) and short 30 second videos of the fish breathing heavily?

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Does the rainbow shark have red on its belly? It looks like it does in the last picture.

Can you take me through the timeline from when the first fish died to now?
Tell me what you did a couple of weeks before the first fish died, when you added the plant, what plant you added, what symptoms the fish showed, any discolouration on them, etc?

Do the fish die after a water change?

Are you using live bloodworms (chironomid midge larvae) or blackworms (an aquatic worm)?

Do you use buckets that are specifically for the fish?

Do you have any soaps, creams, moisturiser, oil, grease, perfume or anything else on your hands when you work in the tank?
Do you use an anti-bacterial soap? these can leave a residue behind that can poison fish.
Do you use any aerosols in the room with the fish (air fresheners, perfumes, deodorants, scented candles, etc)?

I have a liquid oxygen test kit as I had breathing problems in a previous tank and the oxygen was poor, with this tank however oxygen level is at maximum on the chart. Most of it I believe coming from the volcano ornament I have.

I will check the sharks belly when I am home if I am able to but havnt noticed.

I will upload all photos and a photo of the live plant asap (I do not know the name of the plant)

I have had the odd dead fish over the 2 years I've been keeping fish. Probably around 1 every 4 months on average. But when tested 0 for ammonia and nitrite and temp was ok I just thought it was a bad fish or age or soemthing but now it all happens rapidly I knew something is wrong.

I can't give exact dates but can give the order and how.
First went a guppy (It just vanished nowhere to be seen)

Second went a black widow I just noticed it lost its black and looked smaller and weak and sat in the corner, I removed him and put him in a seperate tub of existing tank water and a few hours later died.

3rd was another guppy I caught in action , the dwarf gourami was pulling it down by its tail as it kept trying to swim up, after it let go the guppy was just swimming upside down knocking into things so again I removed it and it died within 5 minutes

4th black widow was just a corpse at the bottom with no eyes and a shell

5th was the first ram. Same symptoms as the first ram discoloured sitting at bottom, went skinny and died

6th was the second ram, sitting at the bottom, very rapid breathing ignoring food. Discoloured Then started bumping into things swimming sidewards, I didn't remove this one untill I saw a guppy try and nibble then I removed him.

The last 4 deaths were within 2 weeks
I looked at receipt and noticed the plant was put in a month ago.

The fish do not seem to die after water changes, at least not instantly after it may have been a couple days after one I didn't come to notice as all these deaths were quite close together.

I have only ever fed the bloodworms once, not sure which out of those but they come out of a bag with red water and they were red. I didn't add any of that water in the tank.

I only use these buckets for the fish yes nothing else.

I do try to wash my hands with only water every time I put my hand in but admittedly not every time. And the shark without fail always comes up for a nibble or my hands and arms when i have my hand in there. (Apart from now obviously )
No aerosols or sprays get used near the tank however my girlfriend is a cleaning enthusiast so I will question her later, she does however know not to spray stuff on it because of the vents at the top etc. I may have had soemthing on my hand at some point I am unsure :( .

I will get these pics (and hopeuflly a video) asap

No aerosols or sprays in the r

with the pleco having the white spots it does sound that they may have ick - but then this just might be a new disease because your rams didn't have it - did they?

You mention their breathing is labored - I wonder if there is enough oxygen in the water. Do you have any aeration stones to get more oxygen in their water? Now the gourami wouldn't be affected by this because they breath air but all the others would be.

As far as the shark - why not just pick up his cave and dump him out or use something to poke him out of there if you want to see him (I wouldn't normally be that disruptive either but you need to see him. Don't worry he'll get over it. )

What sort of time frame do the fish get skinny?
eg: they are eating normally one day and are skinny the next, or does it take them a few days or a week to go skinny and stop eating?

They eat fine and are happy then yeah next thing I know they're ill at the back. Of the tank somewhere .. there is no build up apart from the shark at this time.

UPDATE:
Shark is out of the cave so I can see properly. Leaning against his cave outside not swimming around and definitly not interested in food. But he is 100% chubbier since 2 days ago. Stomach looks very bloated and round compared to usual but is not red at all.
I'm unsure if breathing is fast or not I'll try to upload a video later it's defintly rapid compared to my other fish.
The pleco marks I saw have also gone (What the???) Healed? Imagined it? I defintly saw some sort of white layer or pattern on it!!??..pictures of all fish to follow now to follow now...

Really struggling to upload photos, it says file size too large for server to process, I'm not sure how I managed yesterday

Right screenshot seemed to work...
Here's the first gourami

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-104305.png
    Screenshot_20190921-104305.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 73
2nd gourami

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-104429.png
    Screenshot_20190921-104429.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 68
2 guppies