:( Fish Died

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nope.. Here is the worst part about the whole story.

I'm a new fish owner never owned an aquarium before and when I bought the Elephant Nose from my LFS I asked the guy what he eats, And he told me just reg flake food! Well you can guess what happend. The poor fish must have starved to death. I'm very pissed off! I will never buy fish from them again.

It don'T end there: The rest of the fish I bought from him are all riddled with ICH!
Now I have to clean my whole 20 gallon tank with plants and all!

I'm hoping this won't happen to me again.

damn unlucky dude sorry to here

im newbie to it all and well the amount of crap shops and ppl tried fob me off with
knowing i wouldnt no

like i bought sum barb he told me get 2 (they like schools of 6 or more

poor guys seem lonley but cant add anymore for them for few more days

the amount of crap shops and ppl tried fob me off with

Innit, I wish I'd found this place before I'd set up, or really early on in my tank's life like you guys - at least you've found this place early! I have learnt so much from being here.

Plasmah I don't know if you've had a look but in the 'emergency' forum there are LOADS of posts about ich - the good news is if you treat it early it's not too drastic... BUT it can be a sign that there are other problems in your tank (i.e. poor water conditions).

Good luck!

Plasmah,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

What makes you think the elephantnose starved??

They are however a somewhat touchy fish when it comes to water quality. Very susceptible to high nitrates!!

It don'T end there: The rest of the fish I bought from him are all riddled with ICH!
Now I have to clean my whole 20 gallon tank with plants and all!

How long have you had these fish?? Are you sure they came that way from the dealer??

What do you mean by "clean your whole tank"??

CM

Yea platypus thanks....

I read up on ICH very quickly as soon as i seen the spots on my Silver Dollar fish.

Right now i'm using the temperature method I have it at 30c/86f and the fish seem to be fine with it. If I don't have to add medication I will try not too. As far as water condition is concerned I really don't have a test kit yet but the water is crystal clear and smells like fresh planting dirt which i read is a good sign of healthy water. My plants are all growing good and I have a P330 dual biowheel for filtration. Its a 20 gallon long tank with 6 fish.

Fish:

1 Medium angel fish
1 Bronz Cat
1 Spotted Cat (The long whisker one)
2 Silver dollars (One with bad ICH)
1 Pleco (Common)

3 Plants:

1 Grass looking thing
1 Sword
1 leafy hehe don't know the name

The best thing I did since getting a tank was buying a test kit :nod: - it was SUCH a relief not having to try to guess what was going on in the tank half the time. Would definitely recommend you pick one up if you can - I was lucky and got a massive box with 9 different tests 1/2 price on special offer (think it was still about £30 though) at my lfs. Although normally I just check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and occasionally ph.

So how long have you had your tank?

Its only been up for 3 weeks... I had fish in there after 2 weeks. But my mistake was buying fish from that doofus =)

I feel like goin over there and making him wear a worm hat and sticking his head in the piranha tank! hehe.

Well the guy first lied to me about the Elephant Fish and what it eats. And second the fish I purchased from him had ICH. So I guess thats a good reason no?

I'm new to this hobby I trusted the guy and what he was telling me.

Gonna play devils advocate here so don't get PO'd with me, but............

1. I can understand about the elephant nose.

2. If you knew the fish had ich why did you buy them??

3. Have you had your water tested?? Could be your water parameters are off due to your tank not being fully cycled and this is why the elephant did not eat or why it died.

They are very touchy fish and really are not suited for the beginner. Point against the dealer for this one!!

I won't get pissed at u hehe for what?

Naw.. Actually I did not know the fish had ICH but a few days after puttin the fish in the tank they developed ICH. So I can't see ICH coming from nowhere. All the fish I had in my tank came from the same source on the same day.

Fair enough...............

Where did the plants come from that are in your tank?? They could also be the source of the ich (uncommon, but still possible).

I got the plants from Petsmart and the plants where in thier own tank with no fish.

There have been other issues with this same pet store in the past but I figured maybe give the guy a chance... But this is it I don't think the guy takes care of his fish its all about cash to this guy. I will now go elsewhere for my stock.

Most reactions

Back