Fish Delema

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Camillemj

Reaction score
Moved from Emergency page: Severe Fin rot, HELP almost dying, tail fin gone, treating melafix 3 days

I need new fish in my tank, the ones I have don't work. So what can I get other then Betta's. I am a college student and love my fish tank. No afence to anyone but I don't like betta's and would like something else.

Sugestions please.

ps..I can't return the fish I have(just called and checked) So what do I do with them. See siggy.

Guppies, Platys and Swordfish are pretty hardy but your pretty limited to what you can put in a 3 1/2 gal tank.

Ok you have to go around to lps in order to find oone that will just take your fish (and except the monatary losses). Then, I don't know your selection but some nice looking species that might be ok in a 3.5 gal and a hardy are...
-tertras (ie black skirt, popsicle etc.), stay away from neons and don't add more than 3
-pea puffers are fun if your willing to add some salt to the water (a pair would work)
-rasboras (same story as tetras, no more than 3)

Advertise in the newspaper to get rid of them. You can't really keep them. 3 1/2 gallons.... Hmm... thats a toughie. You miight be able to squeeze 3 cories in. Definately if you can get pygmies. Ghost shrimp? Not fish but...
Ooh, oh! An ADF!!!

Here's the brutal truth: there isn't much you can do with a 3-1/2 gallon tank - and I cringe to even call that a "tank" - other than a betta. You have to temper your expectations. Those tiny tanks are manufactured because they *sell*, not because they are good places for fish to live. You certainly can't keep free-swimming fish like barbs or danios in it. Besides the space issue, those are also tropical fish, and won't do well in an unheated tank (which I assume it isn't).

An ADF (dwarf frog, NOT clawed) or two would work. A couple of the small aquatic crabs maybe. Some ghost shrimp. *Maybe* three dwarf cories, but I hesitate to encourage even that. No matter what you put in there you'll have to commit to doing sufficient water changes. I wouldn't recommend barbs or tetras for a tank that small. There's just not enough movement space. Also, remember tropical fish and unheated tanks don't mix.

Regarding returning the fish you have, few LFS's will turn down free fish if you're just looking to free up your tank for something else - but they generally won't refund your money after a few days. Just ask the LFS if they'll take them off your hands as a donation, and lump it. A lot of folks do this when they want to change the fish in a tank. If they won't take the fish because they're sick or diseased, you either need to treat the fish until they're well, treat the fish until they die, or euthanize them (and this only as a last resort if you're certain they'll die).

If you aren't willing to work with a betta, is there no chance you could put together an inexpensive, heated 10-gallon setup? Your choices are still somewhat limited in a 10-gallon, but it's a whole world to work with more than what you have currently.

Hope that helps.

pendragon!

Find a used tank and setup cheap from ebay or whatever for your fish and keep the 3.5 to breed brine shrimp as food for the main tank. In a 10 gallon you have alot more choices of fish. One dwarf gourami will work in a 10 along with a couple corys and/or a nice big shoal of tetras.

Just call the 3.5
"The ghetto sea monkey tank."

Sea Monkeys=Brine Shrimp.
amazing-live-sea-monkeys.jpg

Hi Camillemj :)

You really do have a problem.

The fish you do have just don't work with your tank. Perhaps you might be able to find an aquarium society either on campus or somewhere in your local area, with a member who would re-home them. Failing that, you might try posting on the bulletin boards in the dorms. In the past, we have had student members who always wound up taking care of other peoples fish when they found themselves in this kind of situation. If you are lucky, there might be one on your campus too.

Failing that, don't you have a spring or Easter break coming soon? One solution would be to take them home and set up a larger tank where they can live permanently. If one of your family members would care for them, they will at least have decent conditions and happy lives.

;) Thanks everyone, I have given away my fish now. A freind has a 40 gallon tank and she was willing to re -home all of my fish together. B) I am very happy they could go together and not be split up.

Anyway, my tank is empty of fish. I scrubbed and cleaned everything in it and refilled it (using declorinated water) I am going to just let it cycle over spring break and easter break. Then I am seriosly considering getting a betta...I went and looked at the ones at Walmart and the LFS..we will see. -_-
I am going to get an aquatic crab, we had one of them before in this tank with a gold fish, but then the gold fish got hungry and ate him.. :grr:

I am now keeping my eyes out for a used 10 or 15 gallon tank, get a good heater and have fish, but for now I'll just listen to the air bubbler....almost as soothing as watching the fish ;)

Thanks again for everyones helpful advice

Hi Camillemj :)

I'm so glad that your story has a happy ending. :thumbs:

Bettas can be lovely fish and one would be very happy in your tank. And you can do a lot with a 10 gallon tank if you do research and plan it in advance.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your posts and finding out what you eventually do. :D

Although I'm not entirely sure about a crab with the betta -_- Where do you live? I know in the UK you can get a 4.5ish gallon tank for £5 in Wilkinsons. If you go with a crab and a betta, I'd try to get a very cheap tank incase the crab fancies betta fins for tea...

Most reactions

Back