Fish Death

wolfwolf

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
A week and a half ago my filter was turned off on my 29 gallon tank for alomst a full day (previous post). I measured ammonia every day since and I never even saw a reading close to .25 on my api liquids. Two days after I plugged the filter back in a pearl danio died. He was followed by a cory, a harlequin, a harlequin, and another cory. One fish died each day. None of the fish had a mark on them. I did not notice any strange behaviour other than loss of color. It has been 2 days since the last fish death and the fish are getting their color back now. My pH is 7.0, nitrite has been 0, I do not know the nitrate but I did 2-3 water changes after the filter was off. The tank is about 45 days old now. I got it used. I lost one pearl danio previous to this problem. Is my tank contaminated or did the day with no filtration stress the fish enough to kill them slowly over a period of days? Any thoughts?

PS my tank was cloned from another mature tank.
 
It sounds like the ammonia you were putting in killed them. In even trace amounts, this is deadly to most fish. There are some fish that can withstand an assault by these chemicals and are normally recommended for doing a fish cycle, but just dosing the tank with ammonia while the fish were in there was prob not a good move...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top