Fish Compatibility Chart

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Puffdaddy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I found this chart while doing research on Lake Malawi Cichlids for my sister and thought this could be a quick and easy reference chart. Especially for beginners and anyone else just wanting a basic starting point(as pertains to fish compatibility).

g_fw_compchart.gif

Very useful indeed - and I'm glad to see that my current tank inhabitants are pretty well compatible.
Thanks for posting.

We've had this one up for discussion before. Basically, not a bad list, but there are always problems when you try to cram a lot of different types of information onto one small chart. For instance, the bit where it says gouramis are compatible with gouramis- this totally ignores the fact that most gourami males are territorial and that some species in particular are quite capable of killing another gourami if it infringes on its territory.

Some of the groups are simply too large- barbs have all sorts of different temperaments from normally timid cherry barbs to boisterous and potentially very aggressive tigers. And tetras- are we talking neon tetras or black widows (quoting two of the most commonly sold ones)? That would make rather a difference to those guppies they are supposed to be compatible with. And I certainly wouldn't put swordtails (particularly not males) with some of the more timid gouramis.

Not that I think this is a bad attempt of its kind, but I think there is a danger in any simplififed chart or anything else that might give a newbie the impression that there are shortcuts from having to research every single species you are contemplating. There aint!

Yes dwarfgourami everything you said is true and most experienced aquarist know these fact. This chart is for beginner and novice alike, simply giving a starting point of what may or may not be compatible. This chart for the most part is fairly accurate, of course anyone looking to buy new fish should always research it before hand. Happy fish keeping to all :good:

Although there'll always be some who jump in too fast at least this'll give them a few pointers.
Plus it tells you what you should definately NOT do.

it says u should be cautious when putting two bettas together?? And you should also be cautios when mixing them with gouramis?? And they do well with guppies?? Some hings should be changed. And dwarfgourami made some good points, not a totally bad chart but it needs some little touch-ups

I remember this chart from a few months bag on here and I remember the flaws in it then.

The worst is Tetras compatible with Angelfish 'Yes'. This should at least say 'Caution' as within a couple of months you'll have 1 fat Angelfish and few or no tetras.

Not very good for beginners in my opinion as Angelfish and Neons are 2 of the fish beginners always tend to go for unless they've researched.

I'd tend to go for the ask a question route than trust anything on this chart.

Also there are a lot of non compatibles which get on well in my tank.

The chart doesn't take into account the environment within the tank or number of each type of fish. i.e. fish that tend to like being in groups act differently when on their own, but the tank just says Betta compatible with Betta!!!Another big Ooops.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back