Fish Breeding And Selling

Feather_Sword

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
Hi, I was just wondering when I breed either my Mollies or my Betta, if the Petco or Walmart, or a local pet store where I live will buy or accept any fry, or how does this work? I will not be breeding just to sell them and make money, but to be able to breed fish for the first time and expand my knowledge.


Incase you were wondering, I am planning to breed my dark spotted Dalmation Lyretail Molly male to my Silver Lyretail Molly female.
 
Any corporate shop (PetSmart, Petco, Walmart) won't buy or take your fish. Best bet is to find a privately owned shop, talk to them before you pick a species to breed.
 
yeah i agree with Tolak, do your research before you start breeding fish that no one wants to buy,and check out who wants them,can be very rewarding if you get this part right :)
good luck tho, i used to love having new fry from my platys and used to stay up all night with the mum to make sure everything was ok ( well i was new to it lol)
you wont make your first million but maybe enough to cover the food bills for the fish :)
 
Good job you said you were not just going to sell them to make money rather to educate yourself because and I'm sure Tolak will back me up on this one, Breeding fish is no get rich quick scheme. I have been breeding and selling fish for around 40yrs now and even with 100 tanks at one stage I've yet to see a profit.
BigC
 
If you are breaking even after paying for supplies & utilities you are doing good. If you get to this point it is low cost enjoyment.

I find that when I do start making any sort of profit breeding I turn around & put it back into my setup. Even without doing that, after subtracting expenses I end up making about $2 an hour for all the time I spend.
 
well, both my mollies and guppy's have baby's very often.I keep them in an average sized tank to have there baby's, and once they have them i remove the mother...

and this is where the fun starts :)
when its feeding time for the main tank.. i grab a scoop full of the fry in the net and put them in the main tank... fish go crazy over em! :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top