Fish Auctions

You should definitely go. I've heard so many good things about going to auctions -- cheap stuff and fish -- that I am planning on going to Atlanta, Georgia (USA) for the national cichlid convention and auction. Albeit, it may be much bigger than a local auction, it still has the same aspects. What's cooler than competing to get a fish that you really really want... and winning? (hopefully!)
 
You should definitely go. I've heard so many good things about going to auctions -- cheap stuff and fish -- that I am planning on going to Atlanta, Georgia (USA) for the national cichlid convention and auction. Albeit, it may be much bigger than a local auction, it still has the same aspects. What's cooler than competing to get a fish that you really really want... and winning? (hopefully!)

I think im going to go now. Im sorta excited to go too...I cant wait until next week for the fish auction :drool:
 
You should definitely go. I've heard so many good things about going to auctions -- cheap stuff and fish -- that I am planning on going to Atlanta, Georgia (USA) for the national cichlid convention and auction. Albeit, it may be much bigger than a local auction, it still has the same aspects. What's cooler than competing to get a fish that you really really want... and winning? (hopefully!)

I think im going to go now. Im sorta excited to go too...I cant wait until next week for the fish auction :drool:
I would be excited, too! I hope I can get up to Georgia to go to the cichlid convention... It would drive me crazy if I couldn't!

Let us know what you get if you get something! :D
 
You have to understand the rules of a fish auction before you decide if it is a good idea to buy or sell any items there. I have yet to see an auction where you are not allowed to view the fish before the auction, and if you like you can come up and look at the fish while they are being auctioned.

I also have yet to see an auction where the name, phone number, and often the e-mail address of the seller is not included on the bag label. This is usually the information of a breeder when fish are involved, any fish I have sold at an auction, or anyplace else for that matter I will stand behind within reason. This is the way most everyone I know operates; it is nothing more than good business practice. The info on the bag is also free advertising, something anyone who breeds with the intentions of making any money likes. The only contact I have received from buyers is either fish care & diet related, or requests for more fish. This is fairly normal for local breeders selling at auctions.

You are getting locally bred fish, which are most likely already acclimated to your water conditions. These are the same fish that are sold in local shops, to be had at a bargain if you are savvy to local prices.

You also get to rub elbows with the breeders, any club member will point out the seller of a particular item, or give you the rundown on the seller if they are not available. Quite honestly, if a seller is selling something sub-par a club member will tell you this, often brutal honesty is involved.

I have sold many thousands of fish, mostly angels at auctions. I have also bought plenty of items, as stated there are many bargains to be had. One of the main purposes of auctions is to raise funds to operate the club that is running them. Without these clubs, and the information they share you would have less aquarists breeding, meaning less locally bred fish available at your lfs. Better shops will buy locally bred, they survive better in customer’s tanks, leading to a better business relationship for everyone involved. If shops can’t buy quality locally bred fish, whose shipping time is often less than an hour, they are forced to deal with shipping cross-country from fish farms, or internationally through importers.
 
I also recommend auctions I have been to them before. Most of the fish are good quality fish that are breed by hobbiests. They also go cheaper than fish from the LFS. A lot of the time the people who bred them are also present, and a picture of the parents is often shown since most are young fish. Tanks......... those go cheap almost too cheap to pass up, but most won't fit in my car. Which is a good thing since my parents won't let anymore in the house :lol:. You can always go and not buy anything, that is what I did the first time. I just looked at the fish and watched the auction.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top