FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, i have some meds for my fish on hand just in case anyone is sick, at the moment i only have antifungal and antibacterial meds with aquarium salt.

Now, i wanted to have antibiotic, too and a bit confused with the variety out there, i just one an antibiotic that is broad-spectrum and can cure most of fish diseases.

In my country in brands such as Tetra, API or other big brands that sells antibiotic for fish is unavailable but i have these antibiotic that i wanted to buy,

Eiho Furan Plus (Nitrofurazone)
Eiho Kana Plus (Kanamycin Sulfate)
Magna Metro (Metronidazole)

I don't even know if all of those mentioned above are antibiotics but the seller label them as "fish antibiotic"

Please help me, thank you :)

Last edited:
Hello, i have some meds for my fish on hand just in case anyone is sick, at the moment i only have antifungal and antibacterial meds with aquarium salt.

Now, i wanted to have antibiotic, too and a bit confused with the variety out there, i just one an antibiotic that is broad-spectrum and can cure most of fish diseases.

In my country in brands such as Tetra, API or other big brands that sells antibiotic for fish is unavailable but i have these antibiotic that i wanted to buy,

Heio Furan Plus (Nitrofurazone)
Heio Kana Plus (Kanamycin Sulfate)
Magna Metro (Metronidazole)

I don't even know if all of those mentioned above are antibiotics but the seller label them as "fish antibiotic"

Please help me, thank you :)
The Furan treats bacterial but is good to have. The other 2 are antibiotics. I keep Furan-2 and kanamycin on hand at all times. I normally use them together and have good results. With that being said, you donā€™t want to use antibiotics as your first line of defense. Usually, water changes are the best thing you can do. However, when you need the meds, you need them immediately. Thatā€™s why I keep them on hand. Good luck.

The Furan treats bacterial but is good to have. The other 2 are antibiotics. I keep Furan-2 and kanamycin on hand at all times. I normally use them together and have good results. With that being said, you donā€™t want to use antibiotics as your first line of defense. Usually, water changes are the best thing you can do. However, when you need the meds, you need them immediately. Thatā€™s why I keep them on hand. Good luck.

Thank you, i mean that's also my plan. right now my fish can be cured only using the antibacterial and antifungal meds i have with the help of little bit of salt, but recently i do a lot of reading on fish diseases (just to make my self more prepared) then i think i need to have antibiotic, too for the last treatment.

So far i have only cured ich, fungal infection and fin rot.

Anti-biotics don't treat most fish health issues. In fact they only treat a very small portion of fish health issues. And most of those can be prevented by keeping the tank and filter clean, and minor infections can be treated with salt.

Anti-biotics break down very quickly in hot environments and unless you keep them cool and dry, they will probably be useless when you need them. The same applies to the base medications you have (anti-fungal, etc). They break down quickly in hot or humid climates or if exposed to bright light. Having stuff like that sitting around in Indonesia is pointless.

Anti-biotics should only be used for known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill People, animals, birds, fish and reptiles.

Do not buy or use anti-biotics unless you know what you are treating.

Do not use medications unless you know what you are treating.

Anti-biotics don't treat most fish health issues. In fact they only treat a very small portion of fish health issues. And most of those can be prevented by keeping the tank and filter clean, and minor infections can be treated with salt.

Anti-biotics break down very quickly in hot environments and unless you keep them cool and dry, they will probably be useless when you need them. The same applies to the base medications you have (anti-fungal, etc). They break down quickly in hot or humid climates or if exposed to bright light. Having stuff like that sitting around in Indonesia is pointless.

Anti-biotics should only be used for known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill People, animals, birds, fish and reptiles.

Do not buy or use anti-biotics unless you know what you are treating.

Do not use medications unless you know what you are treating.

My plan was to keep the antibiotic on hand, but if itā€™s pointless because the weather here is not suitable to store those antibiotic and keep it good until the expired date (even when i store it properly in a cool room where my bedroom is with air conditioner and without direct sunlight) then i wonā€™t be buying one.

iā€™ll just buy it when i have a sick wish that actually need it.

by buying the antibiotic i donā€™t plan to neglect my tank and not doing the proper maintenance, i hope the maintenance i do right now is enough because i rarely got any sick fish, but that doesnā€™t mean that i wonā€™t get one because thatā€™s the thing with taking care of live animals, you deal with many things in a long run.

Thank you for the advice, iā€™ll re-think about buying the antibiotic :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back