Firemouths

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Robert

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a firemoth cichlid, I'm so happy!! :cool: :kana: :wub: B). I was just wondering, well I know you have to (or should try) to keep them in pairs. Well I really want a breeding pair, but I don't know if I have a male or female. I heard of buying 8 and letting them pair up, but there's no way my parents would let me do that! :-( . Can someone please tell me how to tell the sex of a firemouth?????? :dunno:

P.S. The guy at the pet store suggested medium floating pelets. Only problem is, he never comes to the top of the tank! So i gave him a little bit of sinking goldfish food. How do I get him to come to the surface? And will the goldfish food hurt him?

The male firemouths are generally more colorful than the females.

He'll come to the surface as he becomes accustomed to you being the food giver. Give him time.

I was just about to post the same question. :lol:

I have a pair, meaning 2. And they are exhibiting some very cool behaviour the last couple of days. They chase each other back and forth across the tank and then its like they are *dancing* with each other and rubbing against one another.
Could this mean I may possible have a "couple" ? I think it would be so cool if they actually mated. What can I do to give them the optimum conditions for breeding?
Currently there are 2 yo-yo loaches with them as well as a feeder goldfish that neither of them seem interested in chasing.
Here are pictures of both of them. The lighter one has started showing more pointy fins and the darker ones fins are more rounded, could this be an indication of sex?

This is the lighter one. See the pointy fins? I think this one will be beautiful full grown.
LtFM3_cropped.jpg
goodLtFMcloseup.jpg

And this is the darker one. The fins on this one aren't pointy but more rounded looking. These aren't very clear but this one hates my camera.
DkFM2.jpg
dkFM3.jpg

Let me know what yall think.

It's real hard to tell and fins are just generalizations, but with cichlids the female tends to have a more round dorsal fin and the males are longer, more pointy and trailing.

Looks to me you have a pair by the pics, and the actions they are displaying.

To increase the chance of spawning you can icrease the amount of wc's and also feed a large varity of foods.

Well, I am doing both. So, I reckon I'm already on the right track. Do they lay eggs on rocks or do I need to get them a cave? They have a piece of driftwood that is propped up in the back of the tank that is their corner. Will this be ok?

And thanks :smb: :thumbs:

They'll lay eggs on a surface or a cave. If you have the room, what I would do is get a large flowerpot and lean it on it's side.

If this is a pair and they are going to breed, you'll see them cleaning whatever surface beforehand. The fry will be free swimming in about a week.

Keep us posted girl! :smb:

Most reactions

Back