Fire Eel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if it's okay for a fire eel to not burrow under the sand? I currently have a pair and they've been here for quite awhile now. Both only at 7-8". I've seen fire eels which burrow even in gravel but mine just doesn't. They are really active, even in the day. I'm using soft silica sand as substrate.

My fire eels live in the bogwood, have never seen them bury themselves yet, have kept fire eels and tyretracks for several years now and none have buried if they have somewhere else to hide.
Personally I wouldnt worry about it

Steve :)

I never have had fire eels, but currently own a Macrognathus Aral, a smaller (grows to 14 in or so and is currently about 10 and still growing) spiny eel. It only burrowed when I first got it. It has never burrowed since then. I think it is because I have lots of caves and plants in the tank, so he felt more secure. I have heard that the larger spiny eels (fire and tire track) tend to burrow less.

Ryan

mine buries itself in the sand, so I'm assuming it is a natural ambush tactic

I've got two 15 inches and 12 inches and I've never seen them bury in the 18 months or so I've had one of them anyway. Live in bogwood and a big pipe

Mine are too nosy and greedy to bury!! They might miss something

Yeah all eels ive kept have tended to stick to the bogwood and plants for hiding. However, when I moved the eels into a smaller, less decorated tank I noticed that they would bury in the sand much more, but once settled would find other places to hide again.

I had a fire eel a few years ago about 15" and it would always bury itself in the gravel ( always in the same spot ). Since he passed away I have another 1 now about 6" and it never buries itself, prefers to swim around in the open lots and hides in amongst plants or bogwood now and then. These are a great fish.

I have a 21" fire eel, 9" Tire track and some spinny eels. I find the fire eel and the tire track eel do not go under the sand, even though I have coral sand the spinny eels seem ok in it. I think the fire eels are ok as long as they have places to hide.

Most reactions

trending

Back