Finding the right tank mates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, iā€™m setting up 2 tanks. one is 55gal and the other is 15gal tank.
I wanted to make my 55gal tank a home for 2 sinodontis, 2 blackghost (7cm each), 6 guppies, 1 bristtlenose pleco and 4 discuss, is that over stocked? Are they gonna get along fine? Any recommendation what kind of fish i should add to my 55gal tank?

About my 15gal i want to make it a home for 5 pink danios, 3 platinum angelfish, 3 cichlid and 6-8 red cherry shrimp. Is that also over stocked? Will they get along fine? Any recommendation?

thank you very much :)

Can I suggest leave the sindontis and the guppies out of the 55. I have kept black knife and discus together no problem. I would try and fill the top part of the tank with say Hatchet fish or a pantadon butterfly. Leave the bottom and middle for the knife fish and discus. The 15 is not big enough for any of those have a rethink

It isn't perfect, but thinkfish.co.uk has a tank mate compatibility tool. You can enter the size, volume and filter type of your tank, add fish by species and volume and it flags any compatibility issues as well as giving warnings on stocking levels. Not perfect as I say but useful as a starting guide to get ideas and should give red flags for any idea which is absolutely disastrous.

A 15 gallon is not big big enough for angelfish. I would suggest that you put the guppies in the 15 gallon and decide if you want to keep discus or angels in 55. I hope you do more research before buying any fish.

Can I suggest leave the sindontis and the guppies out of the 55. I have kept black knife and discus together no problem. I would try and fill the top part of the tank with say Hatchet fish or a pantadon butterfly. Leave the bottom and middle for the knife fish and discus. The 15 is not big enough for any of those have a rethink
A 15 gallon is not big big enough for angelfish. I would suggest that you put the guppies in the 15 gallon and decide if you want to keep discus or angels in 55. I hope you do more research before buying any fis
Thank you very much, the only fish i have right now is just the BGKF, i know i am new to this hobby thatā€™s why iā€™m asking around and doing some research before purchasing any fish.

iā€™m sorry if my plan was too ambitious, iā€™ll rethink lots and lots before deciding.

anyway, if i have to decide between discuss and angles i would prefer angels, my next question is, can angels live happily with BGKF?

Thank you very much, the only fish i have right now is just the BGKF, i know i am new to this hobby thatā€™s why iā€™m asking around and doing some research before purchasing any fish.

iā€™m sorry if my plan was too ambitious, iā€™ll rethink lots and lots before deciding.

anyway, if i have to decide between discuss and angles i would prefer angels, my next question is, can angels live happily with BGKF?
The angels might compete the BGKF for food as the BGKF can be quite shy. What are the tank dimensions of both tanks? What is your GH? This can be obtained from your water companys website.

The angels might compete the BGKF for food as the BGKF can be quite shy. What are the tank dimensions of both tanks? What is your GH? This can be obtained from your water companys website.
Right now i feed my BGKF directly to their hidding places since they refuse to come out even for food, they usually come out just to swim around and play at night, i gave then frozen bloodworms, after 3 minutes i clean up any leftover food they donā€™t eat, i do that every time i feed them (twice a day) i plan to keep the feeding like that when they live with the Angles to avoid anyone from not getting enough food. Currently my tank size is 50x30x35 in CM and iā€™m planning to upgrade it to either 100x50x50 or 120x60x60 in CM for BGKF because i know my current tank is not for them. About GH i really donā€™t know, but iā€™ll buy a test kit for that the test kit i have right now is just for Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Chlorine, Alkalinity and Hardness i donā€™t know if Hardness is the same as GH.

It isn't perfect, but thinkfish.co.uk has a tank mate compatibility tool. You can enter the size, volume and filter type of your tank, add fish by species and volume and it flags any compatibility issues as well as giving warnings on stocking levels. Not perfect as I say but useful as a starting guide to get ideas and should give red flags for any idea which is absolutely disastrous.
Similar to this?: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

GH stands for general hardness so, yes it is the same thing.

So my hardness is 125 i attached the test strip i use.

Attachments

• 604E69A6-3B1C-4CE2-A1A9-82BAC924AFD0.jpeg
    604E69A6-3B1C-4CE2-A1A9-82BAC924AFD0.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 45

anyway, if i have to decide between discuss and angles i would prefer angels, my next question is, can angels live happily with BGK
Good job on researching and asking around. Many people don't do it and house the fish in too small of a tank or they overcrowd it. Angels are easier to keep then discuss and they are a good bigger fish if kept in a big enough aquarium. I don't know much about KFs but if you make sure the angels don't steal their food they should be fine. Do you have any plants in your tank?

Good job on researching and asking around. Many people don't do it and house the fish in too small of a tank or they overcrowd it. Angels are easier to keep then discuss and they are a good bigger fish if kept in a big enough aquarium. I don't know much about KFs but if you make sure the angels don't steal their food they should be fine. Do you have any plants in your tank?
I have plants in my current tank right now and even floating plants to give some shade because i know BGKF donā€™t like brightness. I plan to have lots of plants in my new tank (the bigger one for Angles and BGKF) so they can hide around and play. And maybe some hardscape like driftwood, too.
My next question is, which one i should buy, the 120x60x60 or 100x50x50 enough for the Angles and BGKF? I have two BGKF now and plan to home 3 to 5 Angles as their tank mates.

I`ve not used aqadvisor but they certainly look like they do the same job.
Yes, the advice derived from it is a little conservative, IMO, but that's not a bad thing...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back