Finally The Way I Like It

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I still plan on using this rock. Maintaining your tank is all part of ownership :nod: It looks great and IMO the perfect setup for cichlids. Maybe some people don't really maintain their tanks :unsure: Either way, I'm gonna still use it.

Glad to hear that. Once you set up your tank definitely show it off because I can't wait to see how it'll turn out!

Still looking to move another tank to make room for it. I'm hoping to have it set up and fishless cycling within the next couple of weeks. Til then, I'm trying to locate all the stuff to go into the tank....rock, substrate, etc. Will hopefully have something to show soon. :nod:

Do you mean what type of rocks are those? Well they are a whole bunch of texas holey rock. Here in Chicago though the rocks are very expensive ($7 per pound) so I have invested a lot of money in those rocks, but they are a type of limestone. Limestone is great in cichlid tanks because it leaks things into the water raising the ph which is needed. They also create tons of caves and because of cichlids distinct personalities, you can find that each of them finds their own caves and acts as though it is their home. Great rocks and perfect for african cichlids. Also in case you are wondering, I am using just plain regular play sand. I was sick of the crushed coral as it irritated my cichlids so I went in my shed and happened to find play sand. I cleaned it off and it works like a charm. You aren't limited to the type of sand really though because you can also use pool filter sand which is normally more white, or you can even go with ocean sands or argonite (maybe i spelled that wrong) as these types of sands also help because they raise the ph as well. Good luck and can't wait to see you tank when it is up and running.

Yep....THR is very expensive. It traps fish poop and is best avoided. Humans like the look of it and the fish suffer

Abject twaddle.

Porous limestone is ludicrously ideal for cichlids.

It offers hiding spaces, it buffers the pH, contibutes to raising the hardness, and has a large surface area for bacteria.

And it's pleasing to the eye.

doris

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back