Finally Decided On A Fish And Goofed :(

confused mermaid

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SO.....I finally picked out my two final fish for my community tank last night and I think I goofed. I wanted Angels terribly, but my male Betta is so happy in my 46 Gallon that I didn't want to move him back to his old small tank and I didn't want to take the chance on getting Angels because after hours and hours of research I took the advice they wouldn't get along. I researched EVERYTHING trying to find a larger (6 in)community fish that had just a little color. So last night I went to the store convinced that I needed to end this plight so I don't loose my job from being on the internet looking up tropical fish all the time. Ended up getting a pair of gold gouramis (male, female) because I thought that would be the safest, and the store employee agreed. I spent so much time on the net I couldn't keep the facts straight about which fish nipped what. Of course today I come to find out that the chances of aggression are just as good of chance as angels. I feel jipped and feel that if I was going to take a chance on aggressive fish I should have just gone with the angels or the red tail shark I wanted. OR the number of other fish that would have been my second choice after the angels. (love severums too, but I know they get big fast and was afraid I won't have my larger tank ready in time.) HOWEVER......I watched them all last night, everyone seems to be making friends and happy, so It's not like I'm going to take the golds back to the store. I guess a lot of fishkeeping is learning by experience because if you research too much all you do is drive yourself bonkers. It kinda irritated me though because I looked into dragon gobies (for the bigger tank later on) and I hear brackish brackish brackish, this guy in the store (it's a specialty store) has had them for years and they live in fresh water and they are two feet long and healthy (so he claims).

ANYWAY I'll stop whining now and just hope for the best. :good:
 
Some individuals are just moody when you first get them...

Some are just Nice....


...its the luck of the draw.
 
I would watch out for the gouramis and betta, but it is a lrge enough tank that they could avoid each other. The best to you. :good:
 
I had opaline gourami (basically the same fish as gold gourami) and they were very placid. Good luck!
 
I had opaline gourami (basically the same fish as gold gourami) and they were very placid. Good luck!


HA!!!! I picked opaline gourami first and the guy said no because they're way too aggressive! :grr: that fries my fanny because I really liked those!!!
 
I had opaline gourami (basically the same fish as gold gourami) and they were very placid. Good luck!


HA!!!! I picked opaline gourami first and the guy said no because they're way too aggressive! :grr: that fries my fanny because I really liked those!!!

I would say the opaline and gold gourami are very similar in temperament, and IMO can get quite aggressive. As above said though, a big tank and swimming space will definitely benefit the fish and aggression issues. Make sure you keep an eye on everyone though over the next few days, and especially as they begin to grow.
 
I had opaline gourami (basically the same fish as gold gourami) and they were very placid. Good luck!


HA!!!! I picked opaline gourami first and the guy said no because they're way too aggressive! :grr: that fries my fanny because I really liked those!!!

I would say the opaline and gold gourami are very similar in temperament, and IMO can get quite aggressive. As above said though, a big tank and swimming space will definitely benefit the fish and aggression issues. Make sure you keep an eye on everyone though over the next few days, and especially as they begin to grow.


Well I hope it works out....one of the golds were following betta around for just a sec this morning, but the betta outswam him and went away, then a couple of minutes later they were right next to each other paying no attention.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top