Final Stocking Ideas

bloatedguppy

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Well I have a 25 gal, 6 year old established aquarium right now that is half full of fish right now and I'm trying to think of some final add ons right now. I have 3 pearl gouramis, 2 ottos, 7 rummynose, 2 neon, 3 cherry barbs, and 2 yo-yo's. My ph is 7.2, and I do 30%-50% water changes weekly, I'm also adding plants slowly to the tank which are easy to care for such as anubias so far, and in the future java moss and ferns, and a couple other plants that require low- med light and if none co2. I'm also going to a really good lfs in sacramento that has over 1000 aquariums and over 500 freshwater
" Sounds like a dream dosent it?" and I'm probably gonna go crazy and get alot but thats the idea. I've been looking at alot of species but I'm very interested in any kind of rams, killi fish, ruby red pencil fish, meteor or long finned moutain minnows, or some celestrial pearl danios. one factor to let you know is I'll probably add plants in slowly and I've raised fish from easy to medium care. Another thing too is I'll be taking fish a far distance since I live in reno nv and I'm getting these fish from sacramento which is alittle bit under 3 hour drive so I'll need some tips on that. I'm also looking at fish with very interesting qualites and from what I've read I'm loving the rams alot, also if theres fish that are hard to get let me know! please leave comments and thoughts. Also I'm not getting rid of any fish I have now.
 
To start with, I would up the numbers of the neons to at least 6, cherry barbs to 5, ottos to 4. These fish prefer larger groups so would feel happier if you gave them more of their own kind.

Then you could have a pair of rams in the 25, no more than 2 though as 20g is the recommended minimum for rams, you have a good ph for them, good water changes, I would think they would do well in there. Either two german blues or bolivians, whichever you prefer.

For the long journey, I would suggest getting some kind of heat pack to put in a insulated bag to bring the fish back in, so they dont lose too much heat and then just make sure you acclimatise slowly, shouldnt be a problem :good:
 
really I can have that much fish? though it seems the neons and cherrys are fine right now I'll watch them to see how they do. I'm a bit timid though about getting rams as I've read there abit hard to keep.
 
Rams can be sensitve, so long as you acclimatise them properly, keep up with the water changes, preferably keeping nitrAtes below 20ppm you should be ok.

Adding 4 more neons and a couple more barbs shouldnt be a problem either, its an established tank.

Haha didnt notice the gouramis on first reading though, hmmm maybe a bit much after all. But then Im not one for sticking to inch per gallon rule, long as the fish are happy, healthy and have enough room for swimming, I see no harm in overstocking, others wont agree.
 
I totally agree with you on that but the thing is this time I don't want it over crowded. I'm really thinking of rams now or how about cockatoo chiclids?, I heard both thing as they are aggresive or pretty docile or what about kribs? I'm looking for somthing around those lines.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top