Final Piece For My Tank!

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Brighton
Right, so I've got the tank, It's been cycled. I have an algae eater. I have fish. Heck I have a pregnant fish. But what I don't have is a centre-piece, some thing that I can look at and go "wow!" - something that complements and contrasts with my other fish. And thats where I hope you can help :P

I've currently got a bristlenose plec, 6 longfinned zebra danios, 3 mollies (1 pregnant), getting 6-8 guppies next week from the LFS and then my tank should be done. However, on close inspection It's really lacking clour - my substrate is grayish (under my bluey light anyways), i have a grey pirate ship, lots of green plants, and silver (and a dalmation) molly. I NEED A COLOUR INJECTION! :crazy:

Do you think the guppies wil give me enough? I really like the idea of a centre piece however, perhaps a dwarf gourami (or a pair), or maybe a ram or an 'apistogramma viejita' (but i know nothing about them!)... can anyone suggest anything?

Oh, and I've thought about a Betta - but i'm gonna set up one in a tiny tank all by itself :good:

Thanks again ^^
 
2 things

1) I love dwarf Gourami and would def get them!!!!!!

2) If you get guppies try to get (1male to 2females)
 
2 things

1) I love dwarf Gourami and would def get them!!!!!!

2) If you get guppies try to get (1male to 2females)


Yeah i am swinging towards Dwarf gouramis - if i can find some nice ones in my LFS - how big do they get?

Ah yeah i'd love to do that - but with my mollies being pregnant and in a breeding group, my tank would be OVERRUN! I think maybe just males for now :P
 
Oh, and I've thought about a Betta - but i'm gonna set up one in a tiny tank all by itself :good:

I hope by this you mean at least 5 gallons? The labyrinth organ that allows a small number to survive in small puddles in the dry season in the wild is purely a survival mechanism .
 
yeah about 6 gallons i saw in my LFS - do you think that with some black subrstrate, ornamanents and some cories would be alright then?
 
2 things

1) I love dwarf Gourami and would def get them!!!!!!

2) If you get guppies try to get (1male to 2females)

1 male to 3 females :)


Try some dwarf gouramis if you like them. They can get aggressive towards others though.
 
Dwarf Gourami can also be prone to bacterial infection and don't tend to survive it.
Male Guppies can sometimes be quarrelsome when kept without females and may end up nipping at each other.
 
how prone is prone?

Like are they sure to die - or if I find some healthy ones in my LFS etc should I just go for it?
 
They are fairly prone to it and many members now steer clear of them for that reason.
Honey Gouramies are just as pretty and fairly hardy, they do prefer to be in a group though.
 
yeah about 6 gallons i saw in my LFS - do you think that with some black subrstrate, ornamanents and some cories would be alright then?


That's great. Just make sure the ornaments are smooth so he doesn't catch his fins, and add the cories before the betta. It tends to reduce the chances of him picking on them as they were there first and will be part of the decor for him . Pygmy cories are best for a tank of that size though, around 6 will be ok.
 
hmm, i mean honey gouramis are small - so i suppose i could get a small group (of 3 or so) if they are hardy?
 
You would be better adding 5-6 as they are quite shy and prefer to be in a group.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top