Fin turning white?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm thinking go the medicine route just because how fast it seems to be spreading and I rather just knock it out fast. Rather then the salt might not work and then it getting worse.
I'm wondering which one would be better, the API general cure or the API fungus cure?
It's now going more on his mouth too!

Attachments

• 91vVlHWQqEL._SX466_.jpg
    91vVlHWQqEL._SX466_.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 94442_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1504204554_.jpg
    94442_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1504204554_.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 112
API General Cure won't do anything to help this issue. It only treats tapeworm and some internal protozoan infections.

------------------------
The API Fungus Cure contains Victoria Green (aka: Malachite Green), and it contains Acriflavine.
This stuff will treat external protozoan infections and minor fungal problems.

Check to see if it is in a powder form, tablet or liquid. Try to avoid the powder form because the dust goes everywhere. Tablet and liquid forms are much safer to handle or work with.

*NB* Malachite Green (Victoria Green) is a carcinogen (causes cancer) so avoid coming in contact with it. Do not inhale, ingest, or get the stuff on your skin. Wash hands with soapy water after handling the product or working in the tank.

------------------------
I would try salt first and if there is no improvement after 24 hours, then use chemicals.

API General Cure won't do anything to help this issue. It only treats tapeworm and some internal protozoan infections.

------------------------
The API Fungus Cure contains Victoria Green (aka: Malachite Green), and it contains Acriflavine.
This stuff will treat external protozoan infections and minor fungal problems.

Check to see if it is in a powder form, tablet or liquid. Try to avoid the powder form because the dust goes everywhere. Tablet and liquid forms are much safer to handle or work with.

*NB* Malachite Green (Victoria Green) is a carcinogen (causes cancer) so avoid coming in contact with it. Do not inhale, ingest, or get the stuff on your skin. Wash hands with soapy water after handling the product or working in the tank.

------------------------
I would try salt first and if there is no improvement after 24 hours, then use chemicals.

I just picked up aquarium salt and the tetra fungus guard fizz tabs just in case.
I'll do salt first.
He's still acting himself, I won't be real worried unless he stops eating because he LOVES his food :D

Last edited:
Now I'm thinking it's just a color change, how possible is that? The white areas are not raised at all or fuzzy looking. He's still acting normal, the white areas are slowly spreading but my gut is telling me it's normal.
Here's pics and a video of him now :D

Attachments

• 20191019_150746.jpg
    20191019_150746.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20191019_150809.jpg
    20191019_150809.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 97
He is using his dorsal fin normally so it's definitely not fungus, and it has spread to quickly to be a protozoan infection. So colour change is a big possibility. However, I am concerned about the white on the left side of his face so monitor that. As long as he keeps eating it's fine, but if he stops eating then post more pics.

You need a picture on the back of your tank to hide the cords and make it look more natural. Apart from that he looks pretty good. :)

He is using his dorsal fin normally so it's definitely not fungus, and it has spread to quickly to be a protozoan infection. So colour change is a big possibility. However, I am concerned about the white on the left side of his face so monitor that. As long as he keeps eating it's fine, but if he stops eating then post more pics.

You need a picture on the back of your tank to hide the cords and make it look more natural. Apart from that he looks pretty good. :)

The background makes it look very artificial LOL.
Also, should I continue with the salt?

Add salt for 1 week just to make sure it is nothing bad. Then stop using it.

You can use coloured card or plastic bin liners to go on the back of the tank. Pick a colour that shows up his colours well. Black or blue backings can look good and contrast well against the fish. Black is probably a bit dark for your fish but a dark green would show him off.

Add salt for 1 week just to make sure it is nothing bad. Then stop using it.

You can use coloured card or plastic bin liners to go on the back of the tank. Pick a colour that shows up his colours well. Black or blue backings can look good and contrast well against the fish. Black is probably a bit dark for your fish but a dark green would show him off.

Ok thanks, I'll try dark green and show pics if he changes much. :)

Update: It's definitely just a color change! His dorsal fin is now turning red, he also looks purple sometimes from the red and blue mixing.
He's doing very good and he also made a big bubble nest the other day ;)

Attachments

• 20191020_130120.jpg
    20191020_130120.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20191023_105436.jpg
    20191023_105436.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20191022_165828.jpg
    20191022_165828.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 103

Most reactions

trending