fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i keep waking up to 1 or 2 of my guppies dang near dead form fin rot or at least i assume its that. they will be very pale from about the anal fin back and the scales around the anal fin are sticking up. the tail has only bone left no cell matter at all. it seems extremely contagious and it hits literally over night. Ive been treating with pima/mela fix and haven't but i cant tell if its working.
i always thought fin rot was something you could see coming on.... i thought you cold tell they had it before there tail and half there body was beyond repair. is this some super strain of fin rot or have i just never seen real fin rot??

Fin Rot Can be either bacterial (fins rot with red [blood] outline on edge) or fungal (white, cottony grows on edge of fin)

Symptoms The fins will have a ragged, uneven appearance that will eventually, if left untreated, disintegrate to the point where only a stub remains.

Treatment There is a range of medication including penecilin.

see whats got me worried it teh part where they say "EVENTUALY, if left untreated ........" i seriously cant see any sign of finrot on my guppies... untill they have no tial atall.

i just added maroxy
10 drops per gallon
active ingredient: stabilized chlorine oxides.

i hope this works ... it says its for true fungal infections so i guess its worth a shot.
Ive also been changing water @20% a day. should i up the amount of changes from 20% to like 40-50% until this is taken care of?

i think this may have been caused by stress due to moving my fish across the room over the weekend... maybe i didn't acclimate for long enough or something..

i got some new 10 gal tanks for x-mas and decided to put 8 of my best guppies in one to hold them for a while.... i used a filter i had running on a cycled tank for over a month its a top fin 60 in a 10g but i have it turned way down so the waters not category 4 rapids in the little tank. my test kits are at a friends house so i cannot test for ammonia or nitrite but I'm sure i had enough beneficial bacteria to keep that whole tank clean. plus Ive been doing so may water changes i think that should keep the levels down or even @ 0.

Most reactions

Back