Filters,heaters,air and other fish myths.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hard to read this thread all the way through. A lot of misinformation, IMO. I am not going to get crazy and try and point all of it out, so I will just make a few observations.

I have met the gentleman in question. We were both vendors at the last NEC weekend in April. We traded some fish, he went home with black neons from me and I with CPDs from him. The stock and plants he had for sale looked fine to me. You cannot have healthy stuff if it is not being cared for properly. I can also tell you that most vendors at shows change water over the weekend. L.R. Bretz did so. I do so even though I have cycled filters in all the tanks.

Next, I have all the test kits I need and have for 19 years. However, I almost never use any of them. I do not agree on the opinion in this thread about TDS vs GH and KH kits. I have only used TDS or conductivity now for about 6 years. My altum tank has a continuous monitor which reads conductivity or TDS, temp in F or C and pH.

I do use two of my kits occasionally. I use the ammonia kit when I am running my bio-farm for cycling filters and/or keeping them cycled for when I set up a new tank or when I do events. I am dosing a lot of ammonia and I need to be sure I do not overdose. So I test for ammonia off and on. The only other kit I use is the niitrate kit despite how inaccurate they tend to be, I use these on the tanks where I am breeding the rare B&W Hypancistrus plecos- L236, zebra and L173. Triggering them to spawn sometimes requires raising TDS, temp and even pH some over months and then reversing those parameters rapidly. The one caveat in the process is not to allow nitrate to build up. So I will use the test kit. Part of the dry/rainy process requires dropping the TDS in half.

Please realize that pure water is an awful conductor of electricity. It is all the other stuff dissolved in it which does that. TDS includes everything. GH and KH are a part of it. However, there is a lot more stuff than just what is measured by these two kits. Ions matter, nitrite, nitrate and ammonium are all ions for example. But many of the things in water are ions. Dissolved organics contribute to TDS, they wiil not be detected by GH or KH kits.

I also know that you can do a tank with plants and no filter or heater. However, water will be changed now and then and the tank will need topping up for evaporation. But this should be done with ro/water. Many solids will not evaporate with the water and are not consumed by anything. So they are building up in the tank. If you top up with tap, whatever solids are in the tap are added to the tank and this increases the total. However, add RO and the level of solids is diluted rather than increased. There is one thing all tanks need and that is gas exchange. CO2 must be able to get out and oxygen must get in. For this some form of surface agitation is needed. Also both ammonia and chlorine evaporate out of water, they are gasses that are difficult to keep in any solid form.

Finally, JUST BECAUSE IT IS ON YOUTUBE DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

and

I have never seen a fish die because the water was too clean (note I am not saying too pure).

You don't believe me or anything else in this post. Instead have a read here. Dr. Tanner is a Ph.D. We have talked in person and via emails on and off for a few years. His site has some of the best explanations of filtration in nature and tanks. I have been switching over to Mattenfilters and Poret foam cubes for the last few years.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/

Hello,

Firstly I have to say Iā€™m not a genius in fish keeping but I have a good understanding in the basic fundamentals and this would start with the 100% complete nitrogen cycle from ammonia to nitirite to nitrate then to the holy grail nitrogen gas witch for years fish keepers believe is not achieved in an aquarium that isnā€™t fully planted and this basically comes down to being too long in the game when the tech was not very strong.

Our day an age people have achieved many breakthroughs in the fish keeping hobby making the hobby an easier more beneficial experience for the hobbyist and the viewers making it a much pleasurable game!

I have been out of the hobby for roughly 15 years and only just come back in realizing how much more advanced the hobby has become itā€™s fantastic although unfortunately there are a lot of ā€œseasonedā€ fish keepers that wonā€™t change there mind on the certain abilities that are now achievable though new tech and materials available.

So for my 2 cents would be to focus on achieving the full nitrogen cycle to turn nittrates into soluble nitrogen gas and complete the full cycle! This will complete your eco system and reduce water changes dramatically!

If you think about nature no one changes the river water and lake water or even ocean water! The water evaporates and so does the nitrogen gas. The planet rains an replenishes the rivers lakes an ocean! There IS nitrifying bacteria that lives in nature that COMPLETES the cycle and being a fish hobbyist there is nothing better than achieving to replicate nature!!!

As for certain species from different areas that need different water conditions and species that just donā€™t belong together due to ā€œreplication to natureā€ then this is one area I would not mess around with. You shouldnā€™t try change nature or try to itā€™s not necessary in my opinion. Replicate it donā€™t stuff with it lol...

So to end this I will reiterate the nitrogen cycle and use your energy an money to replicate a piece of nature in your home everyone can appreciate and get that holy grail nitrate to soluble gas and complete the eco system! Itā€™s now possible with out using a fully planted system and with out risking using 6inch thick substrate!!!

- Proper filtration (correct flow rates for volume)
- Bio media to water ratio and bio load
- Removal of chemical products that eliminate ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in result starving the beneficial bacteria

Happy fish keeping! :)

focus on achieving the full nitrogen cycle to turn nittrates into soluble nitrogen gas and complete the full cycle! This will complete your eco system and reduce water changes dramatically!

With respect, this is not accurate. The nitrogen cycle completed part is true, that can/will occur in the substrate but it most certainly does not negate the need for water changes. Partial water changes do more than most seem to realize. There is "stuff" in the water that you simply cannot remove by any other means, and this "stuff" as it accumulates is harmful to fish. TwoTankAmin was referring to this in his comments on TDS. You need water changes to get rid of this pollution.

If you think about nature no one changes the river water and lake water or even ocean water!

There is a misunderstanding about water changes here too. In nature the fish do not live in the same water for more than a second or two. Every respiration is "new" water. The ratio of fish to water volume is so far greater than any aquarium, and even more when you factor in the constantly moving water. This is impossible in the aquarium unless you have continual flow-through of fresh water, and I doubt anyone on this forum has that set-up. The partial water change is our only way to even begin to come close. At least, with the level of stocking most of us have. I read somewhere that a 55 gallon aquarium, heavily planted, that contained only six black neon tetras, could sustain itself without water changes. But nothing beyond that.

I have been out of the hobby for roughly 15 years and only just come back in realizing how much more advanced the hobby has become itā€™s fantastic although unfortunately there are a lot of ā€œseasonedā€ fish keepers that wonā€™t change there mind on the certain abilities that are now achievable though new tech and materials available.
So for my 2 cents would be to focus on achieving the full nitrogen cycle to turn nittrates into soluble nitrogen gas and complete the full cycle! This will complete your eco system and reduce water changes dramatically!

There are few, if any, FW aquariums that can convert tank nitrates into nitrogen gas. It is very difficult to culture anaerobic or anoxic faculative bacteria in the highly oxygenated fresh water aquarium that can process nitrates.
With 50+ years in the hobby, I guess I'm 'seasoned', but with high nitrates in my well water, I've attempted for years from many directions to reduce tank nitrates to achieve minimal volume partial water changes. Although my efforts and experiments continue, I have yet to succeed in culturing the necessary bacteria required to process nitrates.
(Although possible in a large, heavily planted tank with very few small fish, that's just not the average tank).
Byron is also correct on a couple of important points. In nature, fresh water is constantly renewed by rain and snow melt so fish are seeing 'new' water all the time. Additionally, our test for pollution is limited to nitrates. In fact, there are many other pollutants that the routine partial water change resolves bu dilution. The partial water change also replenishes necessary minerals used by plants and fish.
So the hobby has advanced, but the laws of nature have not changed and in the aquarium, the solution to pollution is [still] dilution. In nature, it's the rain. For the aquarium, it's the hobbyist.

You can buy denitrators from pet shops. They are just an external filter with a very slow flow rate of water (1 drop per second). You feed them an alcohol or carbon tablet (can't remember which coz it was a long time ago) each day and after a couple of months the anaerobic filter bacteria have developed and convert nitrates into nitrogen gas.

I fed mine each day for about 6 months but stopped adding the tablets because they were hideously expensive. After I stopped using the tablets, the filter continued to work and remove nitrates. So I'm not sure if the tablets are a gimmick or they are needed but only in small amounts.

For anyone wanting to make a denitrating filter, just get an external canister filter and fill it with sponges. Start the water draining into the filter and adjust the tap so it only has 1 drop per second. It will take a couple of months for the bacteria to develop and then it's off and running.

--------------------------
You do water changes for a couple of reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

Your right, again. Anybody doing things differently is wrong, again. Don't know where this world would be without open minds like yours my friend. Do just a small amount of research on the man before discrediting him as a bad keeper. Look a his prize winning shrimp that he raises in tanks without filters and so on. The generations of shrimp growing out in such horrible conditions that people pay top dollar for lol. Expand your norm bro. The bubble your living in needs a water change.
Oh and P.S. he breeds rainbow fish my friend. This is why so many and small ones. Actually gets asked about selling his rainbows (because his dirty dirty fish are desirable) in the video you were too disgusted to finish lol.
What you really seem to want is to ignore experienced, educated people and get someone to tell you how wonderful you and your "new" ideas are. The reason people stick with what works and learn from their own and others' experience is pretty obvious, but if you are looking for someone to tell you whatever you want to do is OK, then just do it instead of looking for someone to insult because they aren't willing to pretend they don't know any better.

Sorry I could only watch half of that video before turning it off. I'm not interested in looking at overcrowded tanks that don't get water changes and have incompatible species jammed in together for a video.

The main tank at the start looks cloudy and has a heap of rainbowfish, cardinal tetras, and a few ruby barbs. He has young rainbowfish that will get bigger and they will probably eat the cardinal tetras. The tank has Glossolepis incisus in it, and the males of this species are the most aggressive rainbowfish known, and regularly cause problems to other male fish and smaller fish.

Most of the rainbowfish come from hard alkaline water but the cardinal tetras are from soft acid water.

I am unsure what he is feeding the fish or how often. But rainbowfish need plant matter in their diet and whilst a number of his tanks have filamentous algae growing in them, which is caused by lots of nutrients, no filtration and lack of water changes, he does not have any algae or small floating plants in the big tank for the rainbows to eat.

As for him doing water changes every few months or whenever he can be bothered, that is asking for trouble. The tank is overcrowded and without big regular water changes, the chances of a disease outbreak is significantly increased. Rainbowfish are renown for developing protozoan infections when overstocked and don't get enough water changes, and that tank is going to have problems eventually.

He also mentions the plants are keeping his ammonia levels down, but there is an internal power filter on the far left corner of the tank. This will be removing the ammonia and converting it into nitrite and nitrate, and it is producing some surface turbulence which is keeping the oxygen levels high enough at night when the plants aren't photosynthesising.

He says the tank has been running for a couple of years but the rainbowfish in it are all young fish that appear to be less than 6 months old. And he doesn't know that much about plants.

Sorry to bad mouth someone about their way of keeping fish but that video is not a good thing for amateur fish keepers to learn from. Whilst plants are definitely beneficial to the eco system, the video is full of bad ideas and should not be used as an information source if you want your fish to live long healthy lives.
Ok. I created this post to escape you and your buddies judging eyes. Obviously that didn't work. Look I get it. You believe that what you believe in is better then what anyone else may believe in. I disagree making me the enemy (remind us of anyone) . Can at least this post be free of you deciding I'm the devil and everything I think is wrong?? Maybe? Just this post?? I get that change can be scary. But I came to this forum hopeful to meet people also looking to dare the impossible. Who actually consider that just by some off chance the way things were done in the 80s is out dated slightly. Maybe they didn't know everything there was to ever know about anything aquarium related. I don't know just a thought. Look you want to debate or have an actual conversation I'm down. I'm sure your a nice guy. If you just want to bash me over the head with what you believe please, don't feel obligated.
Ok. I created this post to escape you and your buddies judging eyes. Obviously that didn't work. Look I get it. You believe that what you believe in is better then what anyone else may believe in. I disagree making me the enemy (remind us of anyone) . Can at least this post be free of you deciding I'm the devil and everything I think is wrong?? Maybe? Just this post?? I get that change can be scary. But I came to this forum hopeful to meet people also looking to dare the impossible. Who actually consider that just by some off chance the way things were done in the 80s is out dated slightly. Maybe they didn't know everything there was to ever know about anything aquarium related. I don't know just a thought. Look you want to debate or have an actual conversation I'm down. I'm sure your a nice guy. If you just want to bash me over the head with what you believe please, don't feel obligated.
Awesome, would love an actual discussion. My issue with our friend was I just got told i was wrong. No give and take just copy and paste the same litterateur. That's not a conversation and very frustrating lol. Anyway. I can understand your scepticism. And truthfully I know very little about rainbow fish. I know more about shrimp and how picky they can be especially at juvi size. So I gave him a little credit there. I have seen several of his videos. I'm not saying he's 100% on everything. Don't think anyone is. But he has some good thoughts and his shrimp are beautiful.
When you're wrong, you're wrong! If you don't like hearing that, then go somewhere that they are all newbies and will not know you are wrong. You seem like the kind of person who would like to "discuss" whether or not the sky looks blue, and you're color blind, so you can argue about it and expect others to "discuss" it with you.

For anyone wanting to make a denitrating filter, just get an external canister filter and fill it with sponges. Start the water draining into the filter and adjust the tap so it only has 1 drop per second. It will take a couple of months for the bacteria to develop and then it's off and running.
Been there and done that, Not quite that simple. Coil denitrators and the Aquaripure filter come to mind. The trouble is that at a drop per second, these filters would have a problem in the average tank with average bio-load as the nitrogenous waste is simply too great. (Again, nitrates are not an issue in a heavily planted tank with just a few small fish - but that's not the average tank with average bio-load.)

You do water changes for a couple of reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.
Well, actually no. In a cycled/established tank, aerobic bacteria (nitrosomonas and nitrospira) will process ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. So there will never be any measurable ammonia or nitrites.
The routine partial water change removes some nitrates as it dilutes all of the pollution and replaces minerals.

What you really seem to want is to ignore experienced, educated people and get someone to tell you how wonderful you and your "new" ideas are. The reason people stick with what works and learn from their own and others' experience is pretty obvious, but if you are looking for someone to tell you whatever you want to do is OK, then just do it instead of looking for someone to insult because they aren't willing to pretend they don't know any better.
@AKfish already apologized for his retort posts so yer kinda flogging a dead horse here....just saying.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back