Filters and air stones

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Barnie

Reaction score
Hi Anna
Read your new beginners info, very helpful! Have recently taken over care of Sons tank, (I used to be fish keeper a few moons ago! but the filters and meds they have now are all very new to me) and he was just toooooo keen to kick things off tooo quickly, (16 and knows it all!)

Have REKORD 70 tank and filter system. The filter is built in, and has a small outlet which sits just below water line.
I always used to have air stones and additional air filters, the fish store said this is not needed with the new rekord filter. We cannot see air bubbles going into the water through this although the filter seems to be working well.

Lots of problems with setting up initially, white spot, N tank syndrome etc, and now white worms we are treating with Sterazin, as not sure if they are hook worms or the harmless "P" worms (cant recall name?) and no fish around to eat them, subsequently using filter boost as the Sterazin knocks out the filter for several weeks (not sure if this works?) in a bit of catch 22 situ, as need fish to start the filter process over but need to clear parasites too-Oh so many problems!

Do you think that the filter is adequate or should additional oxygen sources be put in? The tank holds 70 litres (15 galls) so not huge and we only have one loach left, reluctant to get anymore until has established again due to treatment. The fish love to swim with bubbles in my experience. Any ideas would be much appreciated

I agree, the filter itself should be fine. If you want to add a pump/airstone for effect, go ahead, the extra oxygen will certainly not do any harm.

Most reactions

Back