Filter Suitable

Ally555

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Australia
(I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so it may need to be moved.)

Okay. I know just about nothing about filters apart from the bateria related stuff, so I may ask some really basic questions or I might not understand stuff very well.

I was wondering what type of filter this is?
filter2p.jpg


And could it be used in a 2 gallon shrimp tank?
Here are a few more pics. V V V
filter4b.jpg

filter3s.jpg

filter5o.jpg
 
looks like a sponge filter run off an airpump. they work very well in my experience.
 
It's definitely an air driven filter, not sure where you'd attach the air line though... I'm thinking maybe you drop it down the middle (when fully assembled), with an air stone on the end.
But is there anywhere on it that looks like some air line would attach?

I don't know if it definitely would be big enough for a 2 gallon shrimp tank, but I'd have thought it probably would..
 
i have smaller homemade version in a 6 gal and works great! the airline is run down the middle (through the hole in the top) with an airstone attached (just slide it all the way down as far as it will go).
that particular filter looks like a rocket ship! mine are just made out of old fish food containers. not quite so decorative.
enjoy the filter. im a big fan of sponge filters.
 
It's definitely an air driven filter, not sure where you'd attach the air line though... I'm thinking maybe you drop it down the middle (when fully assembled), with an air stone on the end.
But is there anywhere on it that looks like some air line would attach?

I don't know if it definitely would be big enough for a 2 gallon shrimp tank, but I'd have thought it probably would..

The black bit at the bottom has a little spot where you attach a air line.
 
Looks like a box filter to me. The sponge insert replaces the gravel that is shown in there. Why there is a piece of foam in the uplift tube is beyond me, perhaps for keeping things like nosy plec fry out.

Use the foam insert, or the gravel with some floss on the top, drop an air stone down the center & attach an air pump. This should work fine for a shrimp tank.

***Edit To Add***

Both posting at the same time, lol. If it has an air line attachment at the bottom that is where it goes. Box filter it is.
 
Looks like a box filter to me. The sponge insert replaces the gravel that is shown in there. Why there is a piece of foam in the uplift tube is beyond me, perhaps for keeping things like nosy plec fry out.

Use the foam insert, or the gravel with some floss on the top, drop an air stone down the center & attach an air pump. This should work fine for a shrimp tank.

***Edit To Add***

Both posting at the same time, lol. If it has an air line attachment at the bottom that is where it goes. Box filter it is.

The thing that you said is foam is actually a air stone.
 
the sponge slides over the airstone and their must be an airline insert on the bottom of the contraption.
 
its the same concept as a sponge filter with a lift tube...yours is just all built in...im jealous.
 
So it's a sponge filter?
And will it be fine for a 2 gallon shrimp tank? ( might be awhile before the tank gets set up but I wanted to be prepared. )
And do you cycle it like any other filter?
 
that looks really nice!

where did you get it from?

bagu
 
that would be a great filter for a shrimp tank...could even be a bigger tabk than 2 gal. and yes, you cycle it the same way.
the way these work is that as the airbubbles rise they pull water (by suction) through the sponge. the gravel is there to weight it down. that's a great little filter youve got there!
 
that looks really nice!

where did you get it from?

bagu
I actually got it as a part of a starter kit with a 20 litre tank. This was my first tank but it was really bad (had plastic on the corners and it broke and it just was a cheap tank-poorly made). But I guess the filter was good quality.
that would be a great filter for a shrimp tank...could even be a bigger tabk than 2 gal. and yes, you cycle it the same way.
the way these work is that as the airbubbles rise they pull water (by suction) through the sponge. the gravel is there to weight it down. that's a great little filter youve got there!
It's good to know that it will work fine. I already have the heater and I thought I would have to buy a new filter, but now I can save some money. YAY!!! :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top