Filter Size ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I keep reading people asking/commenting about filters and their litre per hour capabilities. how do you calculate/decide what filter is needed for what size tank ?  somebody was on about a 1500 l/p/h filter the other day and it got me wondering is all.

Cheers for any info 

It depends from what type it is that I've seen.  HOB filters have a higher flowrate then Canisters, but canisters are still liked in most cases over canisters.  An Aquaclear 30 ( for 30 gallons ) does 150 gallons per hour but that doesnt mean you can use it for larger tanks, most people aim for 4x or more flowrate per hour.  Some fish like cichlids people use 10+ due to having to overstock their tank to spread out aggression

It depends what kind of fish/set up you want to run.

For 'normal' tropical fish you want to look at filters that turn the whole tank's volume over around five times an hour (so, for a 100l tank, a filter that does at least 500lph).

In heavily planted tanks then you want something more in the region of ten times an hour.

'Riverine' fish might need a turnover of 20 times or more; for instance I have hillstream loach in a 60l tank and they have a 1000lph filter.

You also don't need to use a filter to increase circulation, powerheads can also be used.  Much cheaper to add a powerhead than a massive filter.

They can go just about wherever you want.  I have one in the top corner of my tank.  Its a personal preference.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back