Filter set up advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've a 127L/34G tank that's 36" x 12" x 18". Inside I've 2 x Eheim Aquaball 130, set to 3/4 or 1/2 output speed. One has the spray bar set high so it creates a waterfall & ripple. The other has the turbo output which acts like an air stone. It's pointed downward & towards the front.

In the tank I've 6 bronze cory & 10 Cherry Barb.

I'm wondering if I've good even flow in the tank??

It looks like very little plant movement behind the rock in the area under the spray bar filter.
PXL_20201012_103000931.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201012_102927308.jpg
    PXL_20201012_102927308.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20201012_140812306.jpg
    PXL_20201012_140812306.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 44
I like the two internal filter set up. I have one flowing down the back of the tank, and I have the other pointing at the front wall at a slight angle. That means that the current gets really well mixed and there will be no flat spots. You won't have a lot of movement across the front of the tank, when setup correctly

I like the two internal filter set up. I have one flowing down the back of the tank, and I have the other pointing at the front wall at a slight angle. That means that the current gets really well mixed and there will be no flat spots. You won't have a lot of movement across the front of the tank, when setup correctly
I've one pointing towards the front and other very centre on top level. I could point that turbo spray (left) right at the glass at front maybe? The lights aren't fully on yet so later I'll get a video. There's not too much plant movement but some gentle sway. To the right plants are more still.

The most important thing is to try and imagine where the water flow is going. The thing you don't want is flat spots. You will often get flat spots when you only have one filter. With two one at each end it is far harder to get any flat spots in the tank. At the end of the day it is what looks right to the eye.

The spray sends small air bubbles around and you can see good flow throughout the tank. I was just concerned that lack of plant movement but sway meant I'd dead flow zones.

Thanks. I think I'm a bit paranoid right all my first tank woes :rofl: this is one going much smoother.

I often think there's sometimes too much emphasis on water flow in the aquarium. It's not bad to have some flow in the tank, but no need to obsess about it. After all, consider ponds like the ones they use in the south (US) to breed and grow fish. Often very little flow.
What's most important in the aquarium is to have surface turbulance for gas (CO2/O2) exchange.

I often think there's sometimes too much emphasis on water flow in the aquarium. It's not bad to have some flow in the tank, but no need to obsess about it. After all, consider ponds like the ones they use in the south (US) to breed and grow fish. Often very little flow.
What's most important in the aquarium is to have surface turbulance for gas (CO2/O2) exchange.

Thanks. Definitely have good surface agitation going.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back