I changed my filter when the water level BEHIND the filter media is higher than in front of it, to a point where it was overflowing... There is a little slot on my filter (And I am sure on most others), that allows water to flow back into the tank without being filtered, if it is clogged, to avoid a wet floor!

So if water is spewing out the overflow, time to change or clean!!
Change your filter ONLY IF YOU HAVE A BIO-WHEEL!!!!
IF you don't have a biowheel, just rinse off the crud and toss it back in, as best you can. If it stays clogged, put in a new filter, cut your old one in half, and toss the old one in with the new one and monitor levels closely. But REALLY try to just rinse the old one.
My filter media is extremely thick to begin with, and clogged in a month and a half. I cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it, but it clogged right away again. I even tried cutting it open and taking out the carbon to help with flow, but it did not work.
I changed my filter and monitored the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and they didnt change a bit, thanks to the bio-wheel

.