Filter Q&a.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:
Reaction score
I have done this previously a long while back, but i'm starting another.

Filters. The most important part of your tank and obviously the most concerning when they start to act funny. Post your questions below, be it "what's this buzzing noise" to "what's best for my tank?" to "how can i set up a multi-filter layout?" to "why is my flow only a trickle when my valves are fully open?" to "it went pop, oh lordy, what do I do now?"

I check my content at least once per day as a rule of thumb, so the chances of me not replying are very slim. If it is extremely urgent you may contact me through PM on here which i'll get a notif in my emails about.

I hope it's not the last one. That's gonna be a lot of work for you.

Smooth running everybody. May your pump housings be free of air bubbles.

Interesting, I'll keep my eye on this one. I've run all manner of filters over the last 30 years (oh boy that makes me feel old). Internals, externals, hang on, wet 'n' dry, trickle, home made. think I'll enjoy this.
welcomeani.gif

elmo666 said:
Interesting, I'll keep my eye on this one. I've run all manner of filters over the last 30 years (oh boy that makes me feel old). Internals, externals, hang on, wet 'n' dry, trickle, home made. think I'll enjoy this.
welcomeani.gif
i haven't been running for 30 years, but common sense and experience with annoying problems gives me something!

NickAu said:
Alright, for a 65-70 litre betta splendens setup, 150-250 l/h is suitable, they don't need the best flow in the world and for the fancy variants they utterly hate it. Female betta's and the short-finned males will withstand flow better due to the absence of the huge fins. An 800 l/h filter turned down to output just 60 is going to cook. Remember that the water isn't just the fish's home and reason they breathe, it also serves as coolant. The heat outpput of an 800l/h filter will be quite a lot, but you don't notice as the water gets a very brief glimpsse at heat before being ejected and cooling down in the tank.

I can't comment on the quality of the external can however. Betta do well with gentle current from either a HOB or an external. If you're going for an external, TTEX-400 would be logical. 2 respectably sized media trays and like the others, it's reliable. It's only going to be about 325-375 at full power with media clean and you can have the flow turned down a little on the outlet valve and point the spraybarbackwards against the tank wall. Still plenty of flow in the tank, but there'll be a large area for the betta to swim in.

I run two JBL crystalprofi externals on my tank and so if anyone is considering them and has any questions then ask away. I've been running them for just over 2 years and so I should be able to answer most things :)

Akasha72 said:
I run two JBL crystalprofi externals on my tank and so if anyone is considering them and has any questions then ask away. I've been running them for just over 2 years and so I should be able to answer most things
smile.png
Just out of curiosity, are they paralell or sequential flow?

erm ... I don't know the difference! Just my luck, the first question and I don't know the answer! I'll get the instruction book and let you know

EDIT:

It doesn't say anything in the manual about this. IF it helps answer the question both the inlet and outlet pipes attach to a block which slots into the head of the filter. This means when cleaning you turn the taps to the closed position so that no water can leak. There is also an extra catch for safety so it is impossible to knock the pipes out of the head.

Not sure if that answers the question though 

This might help more https://www.jbl.de/en/freshwater-videos/show/7772/jbl-cristalprofi-e

Akasha72 said:
erm ... I don't know the difference! Just my luck, the first question and I don't know the answer! I'll get the instruction book and let you know

EDIT:

It doesn't say anything in the manual about this. IF it helps answer the question both the inlet and outlet pipes attach to a block which slots into the head of the filter. This means when cleaning you turn the taps to the closed position so that no water can leak. There is also an extra catch for safety so it is impossible to knock the pipes out of the head.

Not sure if that answers the question though 

This might help more https://www.jbl.de/en/freshwater-videos/show/7772/jbl-cristalprofi-e
basically, do they work seperately or are they chained together?

I'm still not following you .... there are no chains .... have you been watching/reading 50 shades of grey or something 
whistling.gif

tongue2.gif

I have 2 JBL crystalprofi external e901 filters - one on each side of the tank. Both suck out dirty water, clean it for me and add back clean water ... Each filter runs independently of the other so if I have to turn one off for maintenance the other is left running. I alternate maintenance on them so if I get a bit over zealous with my cleaning (which I try not to but it happens) the other one 'picks up the slack' for a couple of days. I have the outlet nozzles pointing toward the middle front glass wall which has the flow hitting the front wall and turning back on itself ... this seems to be the best way for maximum debris pick up ... and it stops the oil slick that you can get sometimes.

I'm not sure what more info I can add 
Dunno.gif

What I can add to this thread is that going into my 15th year of keeping fish and having a bunch of tanks. I am changing my entire approach to filtration. Literally everything from media,  turnover rates and maintenance practices is about to be changed in most of my tanks.

The goal is twofold in making the changes. More effective and broader use of bio-filtration and much less media cleaning/rinsing.

However, for those wanting help with hang-on filters, I had 26 assorted AquaClear Power filters running at my peak, assorted air driven sponges and sponged power heads. and several canisters which will be staying but with different media loads. I am also taking my first plunge into sump filtration (being done in a very untraditional fashion).

Akasha72 said:
I'm still not following you .... there are no chains .... have you been watching/reading 50 shades of grey or something 
whistling.gif

tongue2.gif

I have 2 JBL crystalprofi external e901 filters - one on each side of the tank. Both suck out dirty water, clean it for me and add back clean water ... Each filter runs independently of the other so if I have to turn one off for maintenance the other is left running. I alternate maintenance on them so if I get a bit over zealous with my cleaning (which I try not to but it happens) the other one 'picks up the slack' for a couple of days. I have the outlet nozzles pointing toward the middle front glass wall which has the flow hitting the front wall and turning back on itself ... this seems to be the best way for maximum debris pick up ... and it stops the oil slick that you can get sometimes.

I'm not sure what more info I can add 
Dunno.gif
that's basically what I was asking, they run independantly. I've heard of them being "chained" together as in the output of one is the input for the next and there is one main inlet and outlet, like they basically act as one big filter, but I haven't heard of it being any real use

TwoTankAmin said:
What I can add to this thread is that going into my 15th year of keeping fish and having a bunch of tanks. I am changing my entire approach to filtration. Literally everything from media,  turnover rates and maintenance practices is about to be changed in most of my tanks.

The goal is twofold in making the changes. More effective and broader use of bio-filtration and much less media cleaning/rinsing.

However, for those wanting help with hang-on filters, I had 26 assorted AquaClear Power filters running at my peak, assorted air driven sponges and sponged power heads. and several canisters which will be staying but with different media loads. I am also taking my first plunge into sump filtration (being done in a very untraditional fashion).
nice! it'd be good to have that experience added here

ahh I see lol! You should have just said lol
rofl.gif

Most reactions

trending

Back