Filter Medium

momo33

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Newbury Berkshire
I would like an answer to the following if possible, today I cleaned out my eheim powerhead filter, I have to say it was rather dirty and chock full of bacteria / dirt, now if I was to take the sponge and place this into a plastic bag and heat seal it like they do in some shops with other goods, how long would the bacteria last on that sponge.

Could I store it and for how long.
 
If the sponge dries out, or if there is no oxygen to the sponge, the bacteria will die almost immediately.

To keep the bacteria on the sponge alive, you have to put it in tank water.

Bacteria, with no source of ammonia, will die of at a rate of about 3-10% a day. That is if they are in water.

-FHM
 
Thanks, kind of negates my sending it via the post to someone sealed then.
If you want to ship it, put it on a bag with 1/3 water and 2/3 air, throw some fish food in there, as the fish food will break down and produce ammonia for the bacteria.

Should be good in there.

-FHM
 
You certainly can send it, I've done it. Remember to bag it like fish for shipping, 1/3 water, 2/3 air. You do want to keep it warm, similar to fish, though it will handle cooler temperatures, into the 50's. I like to toss in a bit of frozen bloodworms, as these deteriorate over the few days in transit they create ammonia, which feeds the nitrifying bacteria.

At worst expect a 10% die off for every 24 hours in transit.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top