Filter Media Questions

brads

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
England Plymouth
Hi all, I also have a few questions about filter media. I'm running a Rena XP2. Over time I have replaced most of the sponges in the bottom section with Fluval bio max rings. so I have half the sponges in that section than what I had when I started out. In the top section i have more rings, bio chem zorb and a miro filtration pad. Am I right doing the right thing???? What dose the bio chem zorb do and do I still need it?

Cheers Brads
 
The biochem-sorb is a chemical remover. I'm not sure what all is in the bag but I know it includes lots of carbon. In my opinion, its not needed and I no longer have it in the filter. As far as sponges etc., I would start with a coarse sponge followed by the finer sponge. After that I would put in all of the biofilter materials. Sitting at the very top I put a thin polishing filter to protect the impeller from any bits that come loose from the biofilter media. The end result is a filter that stacks up this way. Coarse particle filter, fine particle filter, lots of biofilter and a polishing pad to protect the impeller, then back to the tank.
 
The water should pass through the course sponge first, then the ammonia removers and carbon, then the bio rings, then the fine pads go on top.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top