Filter Media Question

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
trying to get some bacteria from my other 5 gallon tank to my other. Both use the same filter/bio wheel. I currently have a filter sponge ontop of my older tank to collect said bacteria, my question is how long should I keep it there before moving it over?
 
trying to get some bacteria from my other 5 gallon tank to my other. Both use the same filter/bio wheel. I currently have a filter sponge ontop of my older tank to collect said bacteria, my question is how long should I keep it there before moving it over?

At least a week but preferably two. If they have the same size Bio-Wheel just swap the old one with the new one. That will give you a great headstart on your cycle.
 
will taking out he bio wheel effect my populated tanks ability to cycle ammonia ot will it not do much since the filter is still intact?
 
I'm not familiar with the bio-wheel range, but if you're asking if removing your (mature) media will cause a mini-cycle - yes.

Personally I'd just run the second filter in the second tank for 2 weeks to a month (I'd go with a month to be on the safe side) then move one filter across to the new tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top