Filter Media Order

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Marto666

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Currently the filter that I am running is set up so the ceramic ring things are at the bottom, the sponges in the middle and the floss lastly at the top (last filtration process). I bought the tank second-hand and this is how it was set up.

Should the sponges be at the bottom and the ceramic rings be in the middle? i.e. should the water first be filtered by the sponges, then the ceramic rings and then the floss lastly to capture any small particles?

Cheers

No, the order it came in is correct. The ceramic rings will catch the big particles and host some bacteria, the sponges will catch smaller particles than the rings and host more bacteria than the rings. The the floss will host almost no bacteria but will catch all the finer particles that get through the other two media. bear in mind you will need to change the floss much more often than you rinse the sponges and the noodles will need to be rinsed much less often than the sponges.

How often you need to replace/rinse each media will depend on the size of the tank and how much wastes of what sort are being produced.

Thanks TwoTankAdmin

I was going to swap them round so pleased you explained this to me. Much appriciated.

:good:

Currently the filter that I am running is set up so the ceramic ring things are at the bottom, the sponges in the middle and the floss lastly at the top (last filtration process). I bought the tank second-hand and this is how it was set up.

Should the sponges be at the bottom and the ceramic rings be in the middle? i.e. should the water first be filtered by the sponges, then the ceramic rings and then the floss lastly to capture any small particles?

Cheers

could you tell me the make of filter? unless you have Eheim media, ceramic rings are for bio mass, not mechanical (though they can be use as both). in this case i would suggest coarse sponge first then ceramic rings then floss. to say anything further i need to know the filter. as the flow detection is very important here.

unless you have Eheim media, ceramic rings are for bio mass

A ceramic ring is a ceramic ring. Who makes them doesn't change the properties. Given equal volumes of rings and sponges, the sponge will provide way more surface area for hosting bacteria than rings. The main difference is that the sponge requires rinsing more often than the rings to maintain good flow. Oh yes- check out the price of a sponge vs rings and one can see why the manufacturers prefer to sell rings over sponges.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back