April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Morning all,

After a little advice. I currently have a 20 gallon tank going through a fishless cycle. Ammonia has started to drop and nitrites have appeared so looking good.

My question is about filter media to use in a quarantine tank. My main tank is running an internal filter, picture attached. The filter media it takes won't be compatible with a sponge filter. I want to get a cheap sponge filter to put in a quarantine tank for new arrivals once the main tank is up and running. Obviously the new sponge filter will need to in the established tank in order to itself become cycled for when I put it in the quarantine tank as and when required. I can find space for it in the main tank, tucked away behind some plants and so on. My question is: does it need to be running? Obviously it will need to be running when I place it in the quarantine tank but when placing it in the main tank to be seeded with the beneficial bacteria, is it ok to just leave it? I assume the sponge will act as something of a natural breeding ground for the bacteria anyway? I already have an air pump in the main tank and don't want to add another one if it can be avoided.

I'm also guessing that if I left the sponge filter in there "turned off" for when I need it for the quarantine tank, I wouldn't need to change it monthly as I will for the main filter, as it isn't doing the actual filter job and the entire point is to let the bacteria build up there?

One final question while I'm here. In terms of the main filter for the main tank, it has two filter media cartridges which are to be changed alternately to preserve the bacteria. So on week 4 one cartridge is changed, week 6 the other, week 8 the first, week 10 the other etc. Should I start counting down the weeks to changing the cartridge from when the tank is cycled and the first fish introduced, or from when they first when in the tank to start the cycle?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt.

Attachments

• PXL_20210120_111823712.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210120_111823712.MP.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 26
Don't replace filter media/ material unless it starts to fall apart.

If you have cartridges/ pads in the filter, put some sponge in the filter and after a month, remove one of the pads and replace it with another sponge. Wait another month and then replace the second pad with another sponge.

You can buy sponges for different brands of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut the sponge so it fits in your filter.

-------------------
If you have a second filter in the main tank, it should be running continuously so it cycles and can be used in a quarantine tank.

Don't replace filter media/ material unless it starts to fall apart.

If you have cartridges/ pads in the filter, put some sponge in the filter and after a month, remove one of the pads and replace it with another sponge. Wait another month and then replace the second pad with another sponge.

You can buy sponges for different brands of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut the sponge so it fits in your filter.

-------------------
If you have a second filter in the main tank, it should be running continuously so it cycles and can be used in a quarantine tank.
Thanks Colin, much appreciated.

Matt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back