Filter Died. What Next?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So last night I decide to do a large water change since lately I havent had the time (tank stats have been fine though). So I turned off the surge and proceeded. Turned back on and the Eclipse Hood 3 I have been using wasent working. The pump no longer pumped water. Removed the hood grabbed the extra Tetra Whisper 10 filter stuffed all the media inside (its all floss/foam) and let it run. That was last night. I now am buying a used Eheim 2215 filter from someone in town tonight and will set it up with all mu current media. It will be running along side with my Fluval 2+ with it. My question is what media would be best to run along side with my current media? Also would using a layer of it for pure carbon be an idea?

Also would anyone recommend that Eheim substance? Also is Bio Max better then Floss/Foam? Oh and are Bio Balls any good?
 
Bio- Bals are great for growing bacteria. Also, when you need to start a new tank, just take out hte Bio-Balls and plop them into the new tanks filter, and BAM, instantly cycled. I don't know much about Eheims though, so thats all I can tell you.
 
Well I just got my Canister Filter and its in good condition. I got a chance to look at the guys tank and they where in good condition. In the filter he included a lower level of Mechanical Filtration which is a Layer of Bio Max then a layer of Floss and the rest is to fill of whatever I want but my question now is: What to fill it with? I of course will use my current media but that isnt really going to fill it up even an inch. Should I use Eheim Substance Pro (25 bucks, can fit1.5 boxes in) and then place my current media above or below? I want to order some Bio Balls:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12742

But I dont know how much to order, what kind and since I need the filter running first thing tomorrow should I just save plan to remove what I put in there now, later?. He also highly recommended kitchen Srubby pads as a form of media. He is using a down or more of them in his Sump and swears by them. Pic below of extra space:


P1060366.jpg


P1060368.jpg
 
Kitchen scrubbing pads can contain soaps and anti-bacterial chemicals embedded in the fibres which will harm the fish. You can use furniture foam which you can get from craft stores or buy in bulk from ebay the large squares of coarse spong and cut to size. I would go coarse sponge, ceramic media mixture of bio balls and the noodles, filter floss and if you have a 4th bay at the top use coarse sponges which you can easily remove if you need to add activated carbon or other filter temporary additions.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top