Filter Carbon

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I have a filter in with Carbon (Whisper 30 filter came with bag already filled with carbon, so I just threw it in). Its about to the point it gets full. Anyways, Im not sure If I should add more or not. Heres my dilemma, I have tannins in the water that I want to get out, but I also have fertilizer and Excel, which I want to stay in... Also, the carbon is free since it comes with the bio-bag refills and once the tannins are out. I have no use for it. So should I add new carbon in, then after the tannins clear, then stop using it. If so, what should I do with my Fertz and Excel? Thanks
 
well im stumped. Anybody able to help?

I cant see a way around removing both the tannins and the fertilizer.
 
I think im just going to go with the good ol' remove carbon and do waterchanges and replenish fertz, but not tannins.
Tried and true method
 
That should work just fine. If you did leave the carbon in, once all the tannins are out you could pull the carbon out and not use it much and then continue to use your fertilizers. But even with doing water changes you're going to lose some of both, like you said you'll have to replenish the fertilizer so really its up to what you want to do.
 
Dave,

What does the Purigen do in this case?

Purigen targets nitrogenous waste, along with tannins and various other water discolourants. It is far more specific in what it removes than carbon, and will not remove any plant fertilisers from the water column.

I always thought my water column was pretty clear, but after using Purigen the clarity went up another notch. Crystal clear water is important to me in my planted tanks.

There are a few threads discussing its merits on APC (it comes with an endorsement from Jeff Senske), and I started one on UKAPS because I was so impressed with its performance.

Dave.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top