Filter blowing food away

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In my betta fish's new 3.5-gallon Fluval tank the filter keeps moving all the food away before he can get it. What should I do to ensure he eats?

You should put a sponge over the filter outlet anyway. The flow is probably too strong for a betta. You can find them pretty cheaply online.

I use filter flow to my advantage during feeding in my mozzy tank.
Ive a double barrelled sponge filter in a 12” deep tank. This means the food is pushed to the front of the tank where there’s a 2” open space all across the front. Food eventually sinks mainly down into that area where it’s easier to observe the fish eat and to gravel vac. The snails spend more time at the front too.
Enough falls into the heavily planted area to feed the small fry and after a week or two they’ll venture out to the front more and more.

So you can reduce the output of the filter, by tying a piece of sponge over the outlet, or use some airpump tubing to create a 'corral', within which you could place the food.
I've made one of these to keep a patch clear of floating plants, to facilitate feeding;

DSCN4155.JPG

(Ignore the valve...it was just the only connector I had to hand).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back