Film On Suface Of 10 Gallon

Bert

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
228
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vermont
I have a 10 gallon tank set up to hold a baby cichlid until he is large enough for my main tank, however a film has developed on the surface of the water. wondering if this is bad? I use tetra Easy balance for water conditioning and a water tap conditioner. I use these in my two main tanks however neither of these tanks have the film. It looks sort of like oil on the surface. there's also a large mass of floating plant. I have a 15 gallon rated filter and the water conditions are spot on. any ideas?
 
It is most likely proteins and organic matter collecting on the surface of the water. Lots of time if your filter is not moving the water much this happens. Its not harmful its just yuky I have had that happen in a few betta tanks. Allow the water to move more get a good circulation going and you should not have that problem.

Not harmful just gross.
 
Like already said it is probably proteins from food, and/ or plants. When plants do not get enough nutrients & CO2, they strat to release proteins which then collect at the surface to produce scum (bio film)
 
have you got aeration in there, i was getting worried and then i put in an air pump and it cleared up

the air pump creates extra surface agitation so that is why it would of cleared up, easiest way is to raise your filter output to do the job :)
 
Yeah, I raised the filter and seems to be gone now, thanks!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top