Figure 8 Puffers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vinny007

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi i am looking at putting figure 8 puffers in my 60ltr tank and was wondering if 3 would be to many
there is no other stock in here

IMO a 60l tank is to small for 3 Figure 8's. 

I used to keep 2 in a 100L tank and they used to have the odd squabble now and again. If you can create the right environment for them they are very rewarding fish. In the future I hope to keep some again. 

ps; its good to see that you are posting this question in the brackish section as many people incorrectly think F8's are freshwater fish. 

Good luck

vinny007 said:
thanks for the reply do you think i could get away with just a pair?

I would say it is possible but would advise against IMO, a lot does depend on the temperament of the individual F8's that you get, some are tame some are crazy. 

If you do go for F8's be sure to get the set up of your tank right before you add the fish, you will need a strong filter as F8's are messy eaters, you will need plenty of pest snails to keep the puffers beak from over growing, plenty of objects in the tank to break up the lines of sight and also so the puffers can explore their surroundings, regular water changes to keep the water pristine, refractometer to make sure you get the salinity right for when you do your water changes.

If you do not give them enough to do you will find they spend most of the time pacing the glass. This is the reason why you would be better off with a larger tank, when I had mine I found that they loved surfing the flow of a powerhead that i added to the tank, (only a small powerhead 900lph) they never paced the glass once the powerhead was added.  

Just do as much research as you can and get your tank set up right before adding them. 

vinny007 said:
thanks for all the advice

You are welcome 
good.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back