Few Noobie Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kj pined the tail on the donkey, most people do what they want to do because they are on the top of the food chain and or fishes brains are too small to worry about or they just listen to myths that are fed to them by LFSes. Youtube would be one of the worst sites to learn about fishkeeping mainly because its filled with dumb teenagers who think having a shark in a 55 gallon tank without any research and parents that spoil them will get them 100 of girls and friends. Trust me, im around these people EVERY day in school.

Okay I'll keep my eyes open for used tanks and stay with this 10 gallon w/out clown fish.

But for stocking would firefish and clown goby be okay?

Oh and my substrate is turning green, guessing this is from live rock colonizing on it?

KJ: the only reason I have a few tanks is cause 3 are used and one I got new for b day

For CUC:

snails
3 Nassarius
1 Astrea
1 Cerith

Crabs
2 emerald crabs

Shrimp
1 blood shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

OR

2 skunk cleaner shrimp

Is this okay?

TBH i really wouldn't do more than one or two nassarius snails in a 10 gallon. Unless your seriously overfeeding, you won't need them. Instead I would get more astreas. They clean algae off both the glass and rocks. Ceriths will mostly do on the glass but only under the sand. You won't need 2 emerald crabs, one will be enough. The two shrimp are fine, I would do the two cleaners.

In my opinion you should stick with just one fish, either the firefish or the clown goby.

two cleaners would be better, or two bloods. Don't get nassarius, you'll probably get bristleworms from your liverock that will keep the sandbed clean, and if your getting gobies, there bottom dwellers anyway.

New cuc and stocking:

1 Nassarius
3 Astrea
1 Cerith

1 blood ?
1 skunk cleaner?
Whats the disadvantage with these shrimp together?

Why wouldn't skunk cleaner shrimp work as well? or do you mean these by "cleaner shrimp"

1 emerald crab

1 firefish

Don't get nassarius, you'll probably get bristleworms from your liverock that will keep the sandbed clean

The key word there being probably. I still have yet to see a bristleworm in my tank and it's been setup over a year.

As for the shrimp
blood cleaners dont usually come out much especially by themself. So if you get two, you would probably see them more than you would if you had just gotten one cleaner and one blood. So just get two cleaners and you will see them all the time.

emerald and firefish are good.

Oh and by 'cleaner' shrimp we mean skunk 'cleaner' shrimp. ;)

What is the price like for pistols?
I would be interested in getting watchman goby and pistol shrimp if
I could fit firefish in with them.

Do watchmans and pistols always pair up like that or do I have to buy
a matched up pair?

This work for shrimp:
1 skunk cleaner
1 pistol

Fish:
1 firefish
1 watchman goby

What is the price like for pistols?
I would be interested in getting watchman goby and pistol shrimp if
I could fit firefish in with them.

Do watchmans and pistols always pair up like that or do I have to buy
a matched up pair?

This work for shrimp:
1 skunk cleaner
1 pistol

Fish:
1 firefish
1 watchman goby

In my opinion you should stick with just one fish, either the firefish or the clown goby.

10G is a little small for most fish... but you could have a small clean up crew of a couple smal astrea or turbo snails and hermits with maybe a clown goby... but some don't even like a clown goby in a tank this size... if you go for something this size or smaller, its prob gonna be just corals with a few inverts for your clean up crew.

a firefish would be fine in there, but other than that it is a case of small gobies or blennies really. you could look for a goby / shrimp pair which are extremely interesting to watch. a 10G is a very small, limiting tank, which is why a 30 is more commonly recommended as a starter
Pretty sure he meant one or the other and not both ;)

If this was my tank, I would get a hi fin goby:
[URL="http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=181"]http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=181[/URL]
And a pistol shrimp.
Plus snails, and corals.
That's it.

I wouldn't do two fish. The live rock takes up room and water volume. Your ten gallon is probably more like 8 gallons. That gives you a very small margin of error if anything goes wrong.

Okay not sure then if I am gonna get fire fish or goby shrimp pair

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back