Fergus The Variatus Platy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monahan95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
You guys might not know this but I work for a major pet store in the UK (Pets at home), although I have learnt a lot about fish in my 5 months of working there I would still consider myself somewhat of a novice when it comes to fish keeping, this is why i'm constantly asking you guys for advice and information (kinda embarrassing when you work in a pet store 
blush.png
lol). 

Anyways, i'd like to tell you a story of Fergus the variatus platy fry. One day in work I was asked by customer for 3 Variatus platy's, when I was retrieving the customer his fish I noticed a little tiny, free swimming fry. Sadly he seemed to be the only one :(. At the end of the working day I decided to go back to the tank were the fry was and check he was still there, thankfully he was :D I then asked my manager if I could take him home for free as I had a small 28l tank (Fully cycled) set up at home. He said yes and I took little Fergus home with me. I have had him for 3 days now and i'm currently feeding him liquafry but on the back of the bottle it said one drop can feed up to 20 fry. He doesn't seem to take much of an interest when I put a drop in with him and i'm wondering, am I over feeding him or am I doing anything wrong? I really want to make him happy and raise him into a healthy and happy fish. Can anyone give me any information on how to successfully raise him and make him happy?

He doesn't currently have any tank mates, Should I maybe get him a couple more Variutus platy's to keep him company? Any help would be much appreciated as i've never raised fry before :/

I wouldn't get him any buddies as the tank is too small for adult platys. They should be kept in a 15g+.

I havn't gotten to raise any fry yet myself (though I am now trying with some peacock gudgeon fry!), so have no idea about that product in particular.
You might want to try crushing up regular fish food very finely and see if he takes that. I was told for very new fry they prefer something tiny and live, such as microworms.

Do you have any plants in the tank?

I wish you the best of luck raising him! Cute name btw :)

I may eventually move him into my 25 Gallon when he gets bigger but i'm yet to decide, I'll give the flake idea a go and see if he likes that :)

and yes I took a small amazon sword and a couple of moss balls from my 25 gallon tank and moved it into his, he seems to like hiding among the amazons big leaves so that seems to be keeping him happy :D

Actually come to think of it, we only feed our platy's flake food in work so I guess he had to have been eating that.

Most reactions

trending

Back