Female vs. Male

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cation

Dog Wrangler
Reaction score
Hi guys -

My search for a female betta will continue today. I'm heading up the street to the "betta variety store" (where I got my "HM" and sent Julie to get hers) where I was told they have females. Being "bettarded", I need a quick way to make sure the female I buy isn't a short tail male. I know about the ovipositer (sp), but am not sure what it looks like. And, are there any other clues I should look for?
Thanks in advance.

Heather and Auratus, I'm looking in your direction.... :hey: :shifty:

*pulls out her best Cartman look and voice...*

...Scr** you guy - I'm going to the betta store...

*big grin* Just kidding, couldn't resist. Apologies to anyone who doesn't watch/enjoy South Park...

Hopefully I'll be able to discern when I get up there. See you later!

If the female is of breeding age, look behind her ventral fins and there should be a little white dot. But lots of times you can just tell from the fin sizes. Unless they are plakats, then look for the little white dot.

Well, little vague, but hoped it helped alittle bit.

Lakota

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

''BETTARDED''

omg im laughin so hard could be cuz its 2:30 am i donno

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Lakota! Unfortunately I was out the door to the store after my last post, but it all turned out okay. I have a new girly who is obsessed with my HM boy, now.

*turns up the Barry White to get the mood going...*

Just kidding. She needs to plump up a bit and get settled in. But eventually, nookie will ensue.

The ovipositor hint's a good one - I knew they had them, and where they were, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to see it, but I was.

Most reactions

Back