Female pregnancy

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well- you probably wont need a heater.
As far as the PH and such- You could test a sample of the water you caught them from.
Bream/catfish and the like tend to be pretty darned hardy fish. Good luck!

Native fish are extremely hardy fish - In fact I am considering starting a native saltwater tank with shovelnose rays/Fiddler Rays. No heater nessesary and all you really need is a decent filter. If saltwater, I am going to try and get miricle mud for a skimmer.

Concerning your point - I have freshwater native fish in one of my tanks. 3 Salmontail Catfish. Really the only downside with owning native fish is the size, colouration and look. Not always the best looking fish and some can get huge. But I say if you got what it takes then do it!!!! One day I'll have to sell all my stuff to dedicate myself to one huge saltwater ray tank. :hey:

I've always wanted to keep some sunfish or bluegills... but I don't think I could keep them cool enough in the summer. Need to know what the Max temp is on these fellas. I doubt local lakes get over 70ish. I have to spend enough coin to keep my tropical tanks down... and I live in the tundra :( just lots of west light.

If its 70 out side its over 80 inside.

Well- I live in Florida- not sure if this can help or not.
We run the air in the house during the hottest parts of the summer.
SunFish (bream/brim) are VERY hardy- some can live in hot stagnant waters. Not sure if they would be happy in a tank that gets too warm though. Never had any problems with mine. They grew so fast I had to put them in my goldfish pond! They are amazing little fish too!
I didnt have a way to check the tempature in my tank- so not sure how warm the water got. Probably in the 70's to low 80's on the really hot days.
You could always train a fan over the water- it will cool it quite a bit. ( just a cheap fan from walmart-)
Make sure you have a way to get rid of the fish properly if need be, BEFORE you get them. If it's possible for you- how about a small pond in your yard during the hotter parts of the year? They grow fast though- so for bluegill and most bream species you need a larger tank. They are active too! And WILL eat and harrass most fish, no matter what size.
Another up side to some bream- their colours get pretty vibrant in an aquarium if they are properly cared for. ;)
HTH'S! :hyper:

I don't have a yard... can I move in with you ? :)

I live on the top floor of apartments :(

But, its all trees in the back so I'm never compelled to move :)

Egads- that must suck! LOL- I'd let ya move in! The more the merrier,hehe.
Well, um...
Maybe try the fan thing? Just make sure you can give the fish away or eat them if they start to get sick from the heat- don't release them back into the wild.

Most reactions

Back