Female Platy Won't Leave Bottom Of Tank..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hook. Line & Sinker

Reaction score
:-( Help! My female platy just stays down at the bottom of the tank, this is the first time I've seen this. She is still alive but I don't know why she wont move off the bottom. I don't know how long she's been down there, but she was there when I woke up.

Is this normal?? Is she sick?? HELP!! :(

How about a little help for us. Is she very pregnant and ready to deliver? If so its not too unusual.
What are your water parameters? Fish that are under stress will sometimes just lie on the bottom of the tank and chemistry getting out of whack can definitely cause stress. If so a large partial water change is in order.
Are there any new tank mates that are large or aggressive? Again, this could be a source of stress.

How about a little help for us. Is she very pregnant and ready to deliver? If so its not too unusual.
What are your water parameters? Fish that are under stress will sometimes just lie on the bottom of the tank and chemistry getting out of whack can definitely cause stress. If so a large partial water change is in order.
Are there any new tank mates that are large or aggressive? Again, this could be a source of stress.

Nope, she is very slim, no sings of pregnancy. I don't know the exact parameters but my tank is about 28 gallons. I just did a large partial water change. And she is one of the newer fish(got her about 5 days ago) They only big fish that I have is my molly, and she's slighty agressive, but she just chases them, I can find no torn fins to show that she is fin nipping. I thought if it was the stress of being new it would have happened when I first put her in. :(

try leaving the lights off and see if she comes out. some fish due to stress will remain hidden, and i see you said she is new to the tank so she might of gotten stressed from the change and the water changes. some fish never grow out of being afraid.

I watched her for a little bit and she was fine, but I came home from work tonight and she was going crazy, swimming as if she only had one fin, and spazing out. I was really looking at her and it looked like she had her one fin nipped off. She just died :-( :-(:-( I feel so bad.

What could have been done to prevent it. She wasn't shy or hiding because she came out and swam around before this morning. :-( What should have been done to save this little fish??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back