Female Platy Gone Sterile?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettatamer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My female platy doesn't attract an attention from my black platy male, She hasn't given birth or been bred in over 4.5 months... Could she have gone sterile? She isn't pregnant.

Hmm, is something making her stressed out? Is she getting harassed? What are your water readings? 

Your platy may not be giving birth because its stressed, by bad water quality or someone or something harassing her... '

could be that she is fended them off, and now they know not to go near her.. mine did that.. which was really strange.. even though she was 3 times the size of the male.. he moved on hah... 

get your water tested.. and describe the fish.. how does she look? skinny? fat? etc... and how are the poos.. usually that can show if something is wrong.

if she is eating, and doesn't look sick, or acting sick etc. i wouldn't worry about it, but get the tank water tested, and do water changes with proper water etc.

Guppies4Life said:
your platy is pregnant if theres a male in the tank...

No entirely.

Female livebearers can indeed go sterile. I had a female guppy give birth two times in my tank in the first 2 months of me having her. I had her over a year in total and she stopped giving birth after that. She was being constantly mated by the male, I caught them at it many times. She never grew fat or had any babies. My other two females were pregnant every month but this one.... She just never had any more.

But I agree get your water tested and look at her poo to make sure nothing is wrong with her. I did all these checks with mine and nothing was wrong, she just stopped giving babies.

She is fine, all my other platies are getting pregnant and giving birth, along with the mollies and guppies. Still no babies : / I'm really sad because her babies are beautiful. Sadly when I moved I had to send off the last litter.

I have a female platy who was pregnant when I got her but no babies survived and she has not been pregnant again since.  The male harasses her constantly, all day long for months, which is why I'm moving him to a different tank.  I've been assuming that she is rejecting his advances but all the other females in the tank have been happily having babies with him.  I'm not sure what's going on with her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back