Female betta in community tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Hello everyone, since last time I have increased stock of current inhabitants I now have 9 Pygmy Cory 4 bronze corys and 6 danio in my 20 gallon long along with some small cherry shrimp to help with cleanup etc :). At the aquatics store today I was told a female betta could be a marquee fish in my tank. I was wondering whatā€™s peopleā€™s thoughts about this were? I do regular large water changes. Note: Iā€™ve only posted this as have sorted the previous issue of a lack of Pygmy cories :)
I wouldn't. Not only is it risky, you are kinda already at your limit. Your bronze cory numbers are still pretty low, I would add 2 more and even that is a bit much to me as you'll have 15 bottom dwellers. Usually, if you wanted centerpieces, I would get a trio of honey gouramis. But for now I would give back the bronze corys and get a few more pygmys. What danios do you have?

I have a betta in my community tank. I have had a 10 gallon tank for some 25 years. It has been mostly stable (occasional fish diesā€”then I suspect I have too many and accept the new balance) over the years. Currently I have 2 neons, a small pleco, 2panda cories, 3 kuhli loaches, 1female BETTA.

I added the following due to algae problem and recurring nuisance snail problem: 1 nerite snail, 1 assassin snail, 1red shrimp. I also added woodā€”was told plecos like to eat it but never see pleco on it, Ā½ almond leafā€”I read it has many benefits; betta likes going under it.
You need 6 neons as they are schooling/shoaling fish, same with corydoras and kuhli loaches and they all need a 20 gallon tank. Plecos never stay small and one plec will need a 30 gallon. Shrimp prefer to be in groups.
You are way overstocked for a small 10 gallon tank.

I have a betta in my community tank. I have had a 10 gallon tank for some 25 years. It has been mostly stable (occasional fish diesā€”then I suspect I have too many and accept the new balance) over the years. Currently I have 2 neons, a small pleco, 2panda cories, 3 kuhli loaches, 1female BETTA.

I added the following due to algae problem and recurring nuisance snail problem: 1 nerite snail, 1 assassin snail, 1red shrimp. I also added woodā€”was told plecos like to eat it but never see pleco on it, Ā½ almond leafā€”I read it has many benefits; betta likes going under it.
Panda corys aren't the most temp compatible with the rest of your stock. Kuhli loaches, corys, neons all do best with more numbers. I cannot think of a pleco that can comfortably go in a 10 gallon tank. If I were you, I would go, get a 29 gallon tank, add 5-7 more kuhlis, and 6 more neons. I would also get a 20 long and put more pandas and add the snails. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I hope I don't sound rude, its not that female bettas can't be in community tanks, its more that op is kinda already at the limit and it would be better(again, this is an opinion) to add more fish to existing groups :)

Panda corys aren't the most temp compatible with the rest of your stock. Kuhli loaches, corys, neons all do best with more numbers. I cannot think of a pleco that can comfortably go in a 10 gallon tank. If I were you, I would go, get a 29 gallon tank, add 5-7 more kuhlis, and 6 more neons. I would also get a 20 long and put more pandas and add the snails. Of course, this is just my opinion.
I totally agree, @feminva could actually fit 10-12 kuhli loaches in a 29 gal.

My male betta has been in my community tank with no issues. Heā€™s happier it seems. Swims more. Eats better. Heā€™s not alone.

My male betta has been in my community tank with no issues. Heā€™s happier it seems. Swims more. Eats better. Heā€™s not alone.
Yup, some bettas actually do better in community tanks, according to their owners. Again though here its kinda already at the limit..

You need 6 neons as they are schooling/shoaling fish, same with corydoras and kuhli loaches and they all need a 20 gallon tank. Plecos never stay small and one plec will need a 30 gallon. Shrimp prefer to be in groups.
You are way overstocked for a small 10 gallon tank.
I added 4 neons so now have 6 again. I had seen one chase the other Aggressively with the 2 but i still see that behavior. Maybe it will settle down.

Yup, some bettas actually do better in community tanks, according to their owners. Again though here its kinda already at the limit..
I know i am pushing the limits--Im usually true to the rule 1 inch of fish/gallon. The female, so far seems comfortable but if something dies off.. that will decide.

I know i am pushing the limits--Im usually true to the rule 1 inch of fish/gallon. The female, so far seems comfortable but if something dies off.. that will decide.
Okay. I mean its not up to me of course :), but I would still recommend getting a bigger fish and appropriate numbers, stuff like that. Also, I personally dislike the inch per gallon rule. I think stocking depends on the individual tank, maintenance schedule, what fish it is, if they have schooling numbers, etc. I just think that you can't depend on a single or even often multiple stocking rules, IMO it really comes down to research and seeing what will work for you and your fish.
Heā€™s not alone.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but bettas don't exactly get lonely. I think if he is doing better in a community tank, its because there is more stimulation or differences in that tank. But thats just my guess :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back