Female betta in community tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, since last time I have increased stock of current inhabitants I now have 9 Pygmy Cory 4 bronze corys and 6 danio in my 20 gallon long along with some small cherry shrimp to help with cleanup etc :). At the aquatics store today I was told a female betta could be a marquee fish in my tank. I was wondering whatā€™s peopleā€™s thoughts about this were? I do regular large water changes. Note: Iā€™ve only posted this as have sorted the previous issue of a lack of Pygmy cories :)

I wouldn't recommend a betta in community tanks, as no matter what, they shouldn't be placed in community tanks, though with female bettas this could work out, but still a no no in my opinion.
I would only recommend you getting about 1 or 6 more pygmy cories and two more bronze cories.

I think that your tank has enough stocking already. 13 cories is a bit pushing your limits already (your 4 bronze).

Another reason this wouldn't work is because danios are known to nip at your betta's fins, whether male or female (what kind of danio do you have?) and bettas will eat your cherry shrimp. They see nothing but an expensive meal.

I think that your tank has enough stocking already. 13 cories is a bit pushing your limits already (your 4 bronze).

Another reason this wouldn't work is because danios are known to nip at your betta's fins, whether male or female (what kind of danio do you have?) and bettas will eat your cherry shrimp. They see nothing but an expensive meal.
Okay perfect thanks, could a dwarf gourami work? Iā€™ve got reassurances from my local aquarium that they will quarantine the fish to remove the problem of DGD for me?

Okay perfect thanks, could a dwarf gourami work? Iā€™ve got reassurances from my local aquarium that they will quarantine the fish to remove the problem of DGD for me?
Again, I would have to say no. DGD is not really a sickness that you can get rid of, it's a side effect/hereditary ish thing due to inbreeding in the stock.

There is no cure for DGD and nothing will remove it. As Trash already said, more fish is a no no.
Again, I would have to say no. DGD is not really a sickness that you can get rid of, it's a side effect/hereditary ish thing due to inbreeding in the stock.
I agree and there is a possibilty that it'll pass on your other fish.

Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re notoriously docile? Thatā€™s first time Iā€™ve heard that

Honestly if I were you, I would try and rehome the bronze cories and get 1-2 more pygmy cories. If you aren't able to, that's certainly fine but that just means you can't get anymore fish due to the stress it would cause and the overstocking.

If there is space you could try a honey gourami, they are dwarf gouramis chilled out cousin and the come in pretty reds, yellows and oranges. You do sound at stocking capacity though, U.K. and Us gallons are different, Uk gallons are bigger

If there is space you could try a honey gourami, they are dwarf gouramis chilled out cousin and the come in pretty reds, yellows and oranges. You do sound at stocking capacity though, U.K. and Us gallons are different, Uk gallons are bigger
Ah but the problem is that there is no space for them.

Hello everyone, since last time I have increased stock of current inhabitants I now have 9 Pygmy Cory 4 bronze corys and 6 danio in my 20 gallon long along with some small cherry shrimp to help with cleanup etc :). At the aquatics store today I was told a female betta could be a marquee fish in my tank. I was wondering whatā€™s peopleā€™s thoughts about this were? I do regular large water changes. Note: Iā€™ve only posted this as have sorted the previous issue of a lack of Pygmy cories :)
I have a betta in my community tank. I have had a 10 gallon tank for some 25 years. It has been mostly stable (occasional fish diesā€”then I suspect I have too many and accept the new balance) over the years. Currently I have 2 neons, a small pleco, 2panda cories, 3 kuhli loaches, 1female BETTA.

I added the following due to algae problem and recurring nuisance snail problem: 1 nerite snail, 1 assassin snail, 1red shrimp. I also added woodā€”was told plecos like to eat it but never see pleco on it, Ā½ almond leafā€”I read it has many benefits; betta likes going under it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back