Feeding shrimp cucumber

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have heard more than one time about boiling, blanching, the vegetables before you put them in a tank. Would you happen to know the reason we’re doing this? Is it because it dissolves easier?
TIA
the main reason why I boil the cucumber is cos I have 15 +tanks of plecos and shrimps it's more easier and saves time , another good way of getting it to sink to the bottom is by putting sliced up cucumber in the freezer a day or two before feeding

Last edited:
the main reason why I boil the cucumber is cos I have 15 +tanks of plecos and shrimps it's more easier and saves time , another good way of getting it to sink to the bottom is by putting sliced up cucumber in the freezer a day or two before feeding

Woah, how many tanks have you got in total?

Anything else you guys are feeding shrimp?

Anything else you guys are feeding shrimp?
Dennerle Shrimp pellets!
These go down really, really well and the kuhli loach in particular are also keen.
They do a 5 sample pack and I found that all provoke the same response, although their Snowflake variety (mainly soya), turns to a cloud very quickly, which would be good for the very small ones that didn't want to join in the feeding frenzy.
I've since bought the Complete.

Dennerle Shrimp pellets!
These go down really, really well and the kuhli loach in particular are also keen.
They do a 5 sample pack and I found that all provoke the same response, although their Snowflake variety (mainly soya), turns to a cloud very quickly, which would be good for the very small ones that didn't want to join in the feeding frenzy.
I've since bought the Complete.

I bought some shrimp pellets over the weekend, would you recommend feeding them the pellets daily?

Lucky things will be having a good party when i am back home on Friday!

That would depend upon the shrimp...and other critters in the tank.
Drop a portion in and pay attention to see how long it lasts.

I Will do, just 11 Neocaridina davidi red/blue/yellow!
I have 80 tanks in total however I use 4 2ft tanks to culture daphnia all year round
I also culture many types of live food

thats 79 more tanks than me, i'm buying a second over the weekend for guppie fry, i will be separating male from female.

Cucumbers are comprised of mostly water, not much nutritional value for shrimp

Try blanched veggies instead...zucchini, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, etc

So earlier tonight, maybe 3 hours ago i took the cucumber out of the tank which i put in on Tuesday, it mushed in to many pieces most of which i managed to get out, however i've since had a blue velvit shrimp die and the other blue velvit shrimp doesn't seem to happy, maybe just coinsidence, or have i left the cucumber in for to long? This is a little depressing as the blue velvits are difficult to get hold of!

I have just done some water tests and everything is fine ph7. nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0.25 which it has been for weeks now even after water changes.

Any ideas? Maybe just bad luck?

So earlier tonight, maybe 3 hours ago i took the cucumber out of the tank which i put in on Tuesday, it mushed in to many pieces most of which i managed to get out, however i've since had a blue velvit shrimp die and the other blue velvit shrimp doesn't seem to happy, maybe just coinsidence, or have i left the cucumber in for to long? This is a little depressing as the blue velvits are difficult to get hold of!

I have just done some water tests and everything is fine ph7. nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0.25 which it has been for weeks now even after water changes.

Any ideas? Maybe just bad luck?
I fed some snails slices of thawed frozen zucchini. They remained stable for days.

There is a possibility that the outside of the cucumber was contaminated with a chemical such as insecticide (unless it was an orgnanic cucumber). If you feed cucumber again it might be worth peeling the outer layer off first.

There is a possibility that the outside of the cucumber was contaminated with a chemical such as insecticide (unless it was an orgnanic cucumber). If you feed cucumber again it might be worth peeling the outer layer off first.
Wouldn’t washing it good get rid of contaminants? I sure hope so! Been feeding fresh fruits & vegetables to my parrots for decades. And to myself as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back