Feeding shrimp cucumber

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CRS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went to my local garden centre today to buy some more cherry shrimp, the guy mentioned the shrimp love cucumber,
i think i've read somewhere on here before about people trying it, how often do you guys put cucumber in the tank, how much is to much and do plecks enjoy it to?

plecos and Shrimps love cucumber i cut cucumber in slices and then boil it for 3 minutes i drop a slice in each tank it will sink to the bottom no need to hold it down with anything

plecos and Shrimps love cucumber i cut cucumber in slices and then boil it for 3 minutes i drop a slice in each tank it will sink to the bottom no need to hold it down with anything
I have heard more than one time about boiling, blanching, the vegetables before you put them in a tank. Would you happen to know the reason we’re doing this? Is it because it dissolves easier?
TIA

Last edited:
I have my four times about boiling, blanching, the vegetables before you put them in a tank. Would you happen to know the reason we’re doing this? Is it because it dissolves easier?
TIA
I cannot see any point whatsoever in boiling soft veg like courgette/zucchini, or cucumber. Besides over-softening it unnecessarily, it'll remove nutrients/vitamins.

Again, I've used slices of cucumber, but that dissolves and gets mushy really quickly, leaving cucumber mush floating around the tank.
A 1cm slice of courgette lasts a few days and doesn't get mushy during that time. The Bristlenose, Nerites and shrimp all seem to like it.

DSCN4001.JPG

So how much cucumber do you guys put in?

I were thinking 1/4 of a cucumber sliced down the middle?

...Maybe some salad cream and dorritos

So how much cucumber do you guys put in?

I were thinking 1/4 of a cucumber sliced down the middle?

...Maybe some salad cream and dorritos
When I use cucumber, or courgette, I use a slice about 1cm thick. This gives a large surface area for them to get stuck into, but doesn't contaminate the water with an excess of decaying plant matter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back