Feeding Prawns.

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Alright so the place near my house that I can get prawns for cheap only sells them once a month. I'm planning on getting a wolf fish soon and I'd like the vary the diet as much as I can, including live foods such as super worms, crickets and the occasional feeder fish (home bred). I was wondering with the prawns, if they pass the experation date, but are still kept frozen are they still fine to feed to the wolffish??

they're green tiger prawns if that's of any informational value.
 
if the prawns are frozen as soon as they are caught they should last for quite a long time in the freezer. It also depends on the type of freezer. In a frost free freezer it is best to use stuff within a few months. In a deep freeze/chest freezer the same foods can last for years.

How long is the expiration date?
The date might be if they are kept fresh and will not mean much if frozen.
 
I'm not sure as the roadshow comes once a month, but I think something like 2 months experation.
 
a 2 month expiration date would be for frozen shrimp. No way fresh stuff will last that long.
It should be fine. I used ot feed my fish on prawns that had been in the freezer for months. I kept them in airtight plastic bags and they were fine. I kept whitebait in there as well. No problems with that either.
 
a 2 month expiration date would be for frozen shrimp. No way fresh stuff will last that long.
It should be fine. I used ot feed my fish on prawns that had been in the freezer for months. I kept them in airtight plastic bags and they were fine. I kept whitebait in there as well. No problems with that either.


So it should be fine regardless of how long I freeze it for?
 
as long as they are good before you freeze them, and they don't get defrosted and refrozen then yes they can stay in the freezer for 12 months and still be fine.
 
as long as they are good before you freeze them, and they don't get defrosted and refrozen then yes they can stay in the freezer for 12 months and still be fine.


So basically I'd be removing the amount of food that I need at the time and not taking out more than that to make it last longer sweet.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top